Damp Alcove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of a kitchen re-fit, an alcove has been covered in plasterboard, skimmed and painted. Now, there is black mould growing in patches on the chimney side of the alcove - I suspect the patches match up with the 'dabs' of bonding used to hold the plasterboard in place. There is no dpc on the chimney (70 yrs old). I have cleaned the patches with bleach based cleaner but they return within days.

I don't think it's condensation because the area isn't enclosed, indeed there is an external door less than 8ft opposite.

So... What is it. Any suggestions how I fix it, and do I really have to take off the plasterboard?

Thanks all :)

Sponsored Links
Is the chimney vented ? It might just be soot staining coming right through to the face of the plaster....just my thoughts on it . Zinsser make exellent stain hiding paint- shellac based. Have a google for it :idea:

Is the chimney vented ? It might just be soot staining coming right through to the face of the plaster....just my thoughts on it . Zinsser make exellent stain hiding paint- shellac based. Have a google for it :idea:
The 'fireplace' is open with a stove in it - plasterboard & tiles lining it.

Sponsored Links
Chimneys often have hygroscopic salts in the plaster, which can pass into the plasterboard when using the dot and dab. These salts attract condensation, even at a low R/H. Mould is often a sign of condensation.

GALLERY]

Above is a photo of a wall affected by hygroscopic salts on a dot and dab system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back