Damp and Water Seal Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I live in a victorian terraced house, dining room looks out on to the yard, yard is lower / few steps down from house. In the corner of the room (corner of external and side of house) there has been a damp patch for years, about 30/40cm wide. On the outside of the external wall adjacent to the damp patch is, is where the garden wall butts up against the house. A large section of outside bricks always look damp and the area correlates with the position of the damp spot inside, though the area of the damp bricks is a fairly bigger area - 1 sq m.

ANYWAY! in trying to diagnose it, I did notice that at the exact point of the outside wall that correlates to the inside damp spot, there is some missing pointing - a little section where the garden wall meets house wall. So I have had some pointing put in to fill the gaps in the corner of the garden wall / house wall. I have also had the inside damp proofed - injected and rendered. Though the reality is that this is probably not rising damp - because when I look at the damp section of bricks outside it starts about three rows above the ground (the damp spot in the house is at floor level, but as I said the house is a few steps up from the yard).

So...I've damp proofed, pointed, Im also going to get gutter looked at to make sure water is not running down. But what else can I do as it is not obvious how the bricks are getting damp when plenty of bricks around the section look dry. Is it possible that if rain gets in through missing pointing that it can then spread through the bricks and pointing near that section? Or could it be that a section of bricks is simply more porous? All the bricks at the back of the house are of course over a hundred years old - clamp bricks?? They all have natural little cracks in them I guess.

Any ideas? Also I thought an additional thing I could do would be to paint the section with a water resistant sealant. I was going to buy Thompsons Water Seal, but B&Q only had the 1 coat version, and Im probably being stupid but the tin does not mention if it is breathable, which I am told is important. So I ended up getting one from another store, their home brand - Wickes Water Seal, which says it is breathable. Is this stuff any good? Also if I wait until it has not rained for a few days will it be ok to paint it on even if the bricks still look damp - its just that Im guessing they will probably still look damp even when its not raining.

Any advice appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Can you post a picture of the external situation.

Walls butting up to other walls are always a source of damp problems, and I can't see Thompsons helping unless the problem is the external face

Can you post a picture of the external situation.

Walls butting up to other walls are always a source of damp problems, and I can't see Thompsons helping unless the problem is the external face

Cheers, Ill get a pic posted up. But can i put wickes water seal on after a few dry days even if the bricks still look damp?

Also, it is possible for rain water that gets in to holes in the pointing to permeate through pointing in the rows close by?

The whole purpose of pointing is to keep water out. Bad or missing pointing can let water in

Silicone water repellent can go on slightly damp brickwork, but its not clear what you are going to do with it. Its not for inside faces and externally it has to be done over the whole wall.

Also remember that it is not a waterproofer, just a surface repellent, and excessive damp can overcome it, as can damp travelling up or down the wall. It also only lasts a few years before breaking down

Sponsored Links
The whole purpose of pointing is to keep water out. Bad or missing pointing can let water in

Silicone water repellent can go on slightly damp brickwork, but its not clear what you are going to do with it. Its not for inside faces and externally it has to be done over the whole wall.

Also remember that it is not a waterproofer, just a surface repellent, and excessive damp can overcome it, as can damp travelling up or down the wall. It also only lasts a few years before breaking down

I was just going to paint it on a patch of external wall. Ive also had a little section of pointing done where it had fallen out. There are about four rows of bricks outside where the pointing is darker / looks damp, starting about three rows up from the ground. I thought that maybe the water was getting in at the corner where the external wall meets the garden wall, and that the water may be spreading through the pointing that looks damp. What do you think.

I was hoping that by filling the missing pointing and painting on the water seal this would prevent it getting through again to the inside wall where the damp patch was. In terms of the water seal I wondered whether it could also be an issue of a group of bricks being a bit more porous.

Hi,

I am having very similar problems to you, in much the same manner eg damp on the inside with a wall butted outside and iffy brickwork pointing.

I've already inspected the inside of the cavity wall, and it seems the damp / moisture / condensation is coming from the outside, without traversing the cavity wall (i.e. no obstructions), and no sign of water or damp on the inside of the cavity wall.

I'm at the stage where I'm now considering the water repellant sealer (thompsons?), and I was wondering whether you had tried it now, and whether it was working for you?

Thanks,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back