Damp ceiling and wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large dormer window which was made for a loft conversion. I noticed that there was a patch of dampness and ceiling approximately 6-8 in width and height on the wall and ceiling also. I called a roofing firm who put sealant around the window frame but it still happened. I am told that the tiles used are not corner tiles and the soakers used were not new ones but old ones from before and not properly done.
He told me to put sealant in between the two side tiles and change the soakers. If that does not help then all the hanging tiles will have to be removed. This will become an expensive job.
What shall I do?

The damp patch is in the wall and ceiling of room on the first floor

Sponsored Links
I have a large dormer window which was made for a loft conversion. I noticed that there was a patch of dampness and ceiling approximately 6-8 in width and height on the wall and ceiling also. I called a roofing firm who put sealant around the window frame but it still happened. I am told that the tiles used are not corner tiles and the soakers used were not new ones but old ones from before and not properly done.
He told me to put sealant in between the two side tiles and change the soakers. If that does not help then all the hanging tiles will have to be removed. This will become an expensive job.
What shall I do?

I will try to do that but I have not got a digital camera so will only be with photographs. Basically there is about a foot of roof left from the straight wall of the dormer window to the edge of the roof. It is a large window but just inside the limit where planning permission was not needed.

On the outside nothing seems amiss because he checked all the tiles at the bottom of the window and on the roof itself. There is about 3 feet of wall beneath the window itself where it joins the roof. The damp patch is on the right side of the first floor window standing outside which is below the right side of dormer window. It maybe a straight track down of water or coming from elsewhere. I checked under the window ledge and there seems to be mastic there which he put in recently all around the window but that has not changed anything.

Sponsored Links
What shall I do?

I will try to do that but I have not got a digital camera so will only be with photographs. Basically there is about a foot of roof left from the straight wall of the dormer window to the edge of the roof. It is a large window but just inside the limit where planning permission was not needed.

On the outside nothing seems amiss because he checked all the tiles at the bottom of the window and on the roof itself. There is about 3 feet of wall beneath the window itself where it joins the roof. The damp patch is on the right side of the first floor window standing outside which is below the right side of dormer window. It maybe a straight track down of water or coming from elsewhere. I checked under the window ledge and there seems to be mastic there which he put in recently all around the window but that has not changed anything.

The damp patch is where the junction of wall and ceiling is which is not straight under the dormer window so I wonder if the dormer window is a red herring and the leak is actually due to the roof itself at that point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back