Damp ceiling (roof): diagnosis & selecting help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I see from past posts that damp is, as expected, quite a significant subject ...

I have damp in my bedroom wall/ceiling corner. This is a north-facing room with a standard pitched roof above. 1920s build.

Difficult to look for damp in the attic as this is right in the corner of the pitched roof.

If there are obvious things to look for or treatments etc to try, I'd appreciate knowing. If not, what's the best way to select a workman / builder to help ? I'm sceptical of what someone can do until the problem is reasonably well specified, after all only we live here etc.

Suggestions welcome thanks. Mike

Sponsored Links
Try to establish if it's damp from condensation or from a leak above.
If it's condensation, there probably won't be much sign of dampness in the loft.
Condensation will form on cold surfaces and the moisture is what comes from your breath, showers, drying clothes etc. Condensation damp is also what you get behind wardrobes etc.

Sponsored Links
To be honest we have both yellow/brown Staines and black marks.
Small quantities, but both.

This is our bedroom where we both sleep. We dry clothes in here on the other side of the room where there are no symptoms.

We may have both condensation and perhaps a new leak because the bay window (near the yellow/brown and black marks) does get condensation quite badly. Always has done for years, bt the Staines are very recent.

Are there any techniques for diagnosing the problem(s) please ??

There are several solutions but most could be quite expensive !

Many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back