Damp Concrete Floor - wood floor going down in a week

M

mwjburton

(NB - this is NOT an issue relating to damp proofing or damp from underneath the floor)

I have a new damp proofed, screeded floor which we will be laying an engineered wood floor onto in one weeks time.

Over the last few months since it was laid, the builders have been working on the site and due to a slightly leaky hose which was running through that part of the house, a relatively small amount of water has leaked onto it in a number of places.

The hose has been removed and the workforce is now under strick instructions not to allow any water onto the floor.

The floor 'looks' perfectly dry from the top now, however my plasterer turned to me last Friday and said it would take weeks for the concrete to properly dry out now. Since I'm scheduled to lay the finished engineered wood floor this coming Friday, I'm a little worried.

Is there anything I can do to speed up the drying - I've been thinking about bringing in heaters, dehumidifiers or maybe covering the floor in silica gel (no doubt very costly) in an effort to draw any moisture out.

Many thanks,
Mark

Sponsored Links
When we lay the wood floor we have the option of using a moisture resilient underlay. However if the moisture is there, I imagine it will simply collect under the underlay and then what?

i personally would give it at least 2 weeks
it is just not worth the risk in fact i would aim for 4 to be safe
a dehumidifier may be enough but you wont know until the wood starts to cup and twist :eek:

I feared that would be the case. Do you think a damp metre is a suitable device to test the moisture content of the floor, or should I do the 2 day polyurethane patch test to see how the moisture is doing?

Its so frustrating as the screed went down over 4 months ago, so we could have been in a perfect condition for floor laying. Oh well, you live a learn.

Sponsored Links
the trouble is the surface can be quite dry until the moisture underneath catches up

you could lay and it will be fine there is know way off telling can you take the risk and have to redo it :cry:

I've delayed the wood floor install by a few weeks and will keep a dehumidifier on to keep the moisture level down.
Thanks for your advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back