Damp course needed for brick pillar in garden?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm about to build some brick pillars (6 courses high) in my garden to put plant pots on. Nothing fancy. 6 Levels of brick topped with a stone \ concrete slab.

My question is; do I need damp course above the dirt level?

I don't see any damp course on my existing garden dwarf walls, and they seem to have lasted 25+ years (some bricks have been replaced though after crumbling because of frost).

Also, how thick should the foundations be for such a small structure? Cement or concrete foundations?

Bricks are reclaimed second hand.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
no damp course - concrete pad maybe a spit deep

Depending on how frost proof the bricks you intend to use are, a damp course could be advisable.

If the bricks are commons with little resistance to frost you may find that the bottom bricks won't last long before the start to crumble.

You could use some slate as a damp course, or you could use a couple of courses of engineering quality bricks at the bottom but this will probably spoil the look of the pillars unless you choose a brick to compliment your reclaimed bricks.

Cheers.

Damp courses are for buildings being lived in, not gardens

If you insert a physical barrier like a DPC, then you risk the joint breaking and the pier sliding on top

Just select suitable frost resistant bricks, and make sure your pier capp as a good overhang to let rain drip away from the brickwork

Sponsored Links
Damp courses are for buildings being lived in, not gardens

If you insert a physical barrier like a DPC, then you risk the joint breaking and the pier sliding on top

Just select suitable frost resistant bricks, and make sure your pier capp as a good overhang to let rain drip away from the brickwork

Hi,
my suggestion of using slate as a DPC was assuming that the reclaimed bricks being used were more than likely not frost resistant so the slate would stop the bottom bricks becoming saturated.

I appreciate your point that a DPC could potentially be a weak point, but mortar sticks to slate doesn't it, I know it just sits on plastic DPC's.

Cheers.

Well there was no DPC in the garden wall @ a hotel I worked on - there were 4 walls @ least 150 yards long x 10 feet high x 18 inch brickwork - stood for about 200 years then blew over :eek: - plenty of bricks there to recycle :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back