Damp (everywhere) since extension built

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Any advice or insight gratefully received here. I have problems with water / damp getting in since the "completion" of a small extension.

Water / damp gets in seemingly under the new kitchen door and in the new dining room window;

Drains are all clear and running freely (initial thought was that it was backed up but it's fine, fortunately!).

Also in the bathroom, which was not altered apart from the new window being put in damp is randomly appearing:

Also, rendering was done but the tops of the windows were left like this

I've run mastic under the kitchen door, which did seem to work for about 10 days but the most recent wind and rain saw the patches return. I've spoken to, and I'm waiting for two window companies to come and quote for the window surrounds (beading?) to be fitted. Builder is non-committal as to the reasons and wants me to "keep an eye on it".

Any ideas how to combat this would be nice!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Beneath the window/ lintel has still to be rendered, window hasn't been silicone sealed.

The patches below the window could be either cold bridging through the dabs and condensation if dry lined or dirty wall ties.

The door looks as though it is fitted the wrong way round...maybe.

I hate to say it but the whole thing looks poor to me. Did you pay proper money to have it built? I agree with Alistair - the door looks like an inward opening door fitted round the wrong way - in which case the threshold drains will be draining water straight into your floor. The window openings are obviously not built properly. The window sill is not built properly and is most likely just draining water straight into the cavity. The render looks like it's falling apart. I'd be asking for my money back.

Doh missed the cill! looks as though its leaning back, unless its just the way the pictures taken.

Sponsored Links
Just to clarify - the last picture is the top of the bathroom window ... and yes, proper money has been paid.

Not sure if there are any other pictures you need to show if the door is on the wrong way, as that would make sense?

I dont think the door has been fitted the wrong way around as it would most likely have a door drip on the inside, Easy way to check would be to see if the removable beads around the glass are on the inside or outside (they should be in) but its hard to tell from the pics.
Compare them to the window beads to see if they look removable on the inside.

Im assuming a builder fitted the doors and windows not a proper window fitter?
Its impossible to tell for sure without removing them but I expect he hasn't sealed the frames to the cills properly. There should be a continues bead of sealant along the back edge but also the 2 ends need to be sealed to stop water pouring into the block/cavity.

This could explain most of your damp problems but there is no way to be sure without taking out a window or door.

Just to clarify - the last picture is the top of the bathroom window ... and yes, proper money has been paid.

Not sure if there are any other pictures you need to show if the door is on the wrong way, as that would make sense?
pic of the external door threshold would be useful.

If you can take a close up pic of the gap between the window and cill where the hidden drainage is (i hope this wasn't what you talked about having sealed up) in one of the corners we may be able to see but its unlikely we could see for sure

I dont think the door has been fitted the wrong way around as it would most likely have a door drip on the inside, Easy way to check would be to see if the removable beads around the glass are on the inside or outside (they should be in) but its hard to tell from the pics.
Compare them to the window beads to see if they look removable on the inside.

Have done and yes, these are the right way round.

Im assuming a builder fitted the doors and windows not a proper window fitter?

Correct...

If you can take a close up pic of the gap between the window and cill where the hidden drainage is (i hope this wasn't what you talked about having sealed up) in one of the corners we may be able to see but its unlikely we could see for sure

I will take some pictures tomorrow in the light.

No, I didn't seal up the hidden drainage, I ran mastic under the outside step part where the plastic met the brickwork.

(Doesn't mean I didn't think about sealing that hidden drainage though before I worked out what it was :LOL:)

Cheers (for now!)

:D

This is what I mean:

150-cill-600x600_zps21d75a5d.jpg

If he hasn't sealed the ends of the cills where I have shaded in green any water blown up under between the window and cill gos straight into the cavity or even the internal skin of the wall depending on how far in the window is fitted.

The pics of the damp patches at the corners of the windows are a common sign that they haven't been sealed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back