Damp floorboards from bathroom to bedroom wardrobe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So having just bought a ground floor flat, I took up the laminate flooring to discover wet floorboards. I was advised there was no leak and this was due to poor ventilation so new floorboards were put down. Two months later, the boards are now wet again, not as bad as previously but still bad enough. I have a dehumidifier running so perhaps that’s it bringing up the moisture but I’m worried there is a deeper issue. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2170.png
    IMG_2170.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2171.png
    IMG_2171.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2169.jpeg
    IMG_2169.jpeg
    238.8 KB · Views: 36
Sponsored Links
Difficult to believe that this is poor ventilation. Do you see other signs of poor ventilation? For example, black mould on walls, condensation on windows, etc.

I have a dehumidifier running so perhaps that’s it bringing up the moisture
In my opinion there is a leak and running a dehumidifier is an expensive sticking plaster. Not certain what you mean by "bringing up".

What's on the other side of that wall in the picture, the bathroom? How easily can you get to the plumbing, eg remove bath panel?

Def needs proper investigation. What is exactly next door?

No signs of mould elsewhere and slight condensation on the windows some mornings.
When the new sections of floorboards were put down, the ground underneath was still damp so I thought perhaps this is making the new floorboards and carpet damp as well now with the dehumidifier running.
On the other side of the wardrobe is the bathroom which is all tiled so no sign of excess moisture. The bathroom doesn’t have a window but the extractor fan seems decent enough. The plumbing is easy to access behind the sink and toilet and nothing seems wet when I have looked and felt the pipes but there is a musty smell.

Sponsored Links
Musty smell equals damp somewhere.

I would be taking up the boards and having good investigation...

I would suggest turning off the flat supply at the stopcock but it would have to be off for ages to know if it's made a difference so it's probably not practical.

I have now checked the water meter and no changes when the water isn’t in use.
I have taken a picture behind the toilet and sink unit and it’s definitely damp on the toilet side but I can’t see any water dripping when the toilet is flushed.

Attachments

• IMG_2204.jpeg
    IMG_2204.jpeg
    298.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2202.jpeg
    IMG_2202.jpeg
    204 KB · Views: 30
Take better pictures so that we can see the whole toilet from the front and side. Also a picture standing at the bathroom door looking at the toilet.

Andy

Was it the vendor, or agent?
This was by a plumber a couple of months ago who then replaced the damp floorboards.

The wardrobe backs onto the toilet side of the bathroom.

Attachments

• IMG_2207.jpeg
    IMG_2207.jpeg
    252.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2208.jpeg
    IMG_2208.jpeg
    198.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2209.jpeg
    IMG_2209.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2210.jpeg
    IMG_2210.jpeg
    185.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2211.jpeg
    IMG_2211.jpeg
    175.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2213.jpeg
    IMG_2213.jpeg
    249.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2212.jpeg
    IMG_2212.jpeg
    231.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2214.jpeg
    IMG_2214.jpeg
    397.5 KB · Views: 30
Back to wall toilet, I hate these, the leak will be from the flush pipe or pan connector.

Toilet will need to be removed to fix.

Andy

If you have to smash open the enclosure, consider having exposed plumbing next time.

Yes will do John. I was planning on a new bathroom in year or so but that will come sooner rather than later now so I will ensure the plumbing is exposed and easy to access.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back