Damp in an old stone terrace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just wondering is anyone can provide some advice.
I am renovating a stone built terrace which has rising damp on the front external wall.
I have had the outside repointed as it was blown.
On the inside, I have drilled holes and installed dry rods. However, the dry rods have NOT dissolved.
I am not completely surprised by this, because the mortar for the bottom 1ft had turned into a mud like material, which I suspected wasn’t the best for dry rods.
Is there a solution for this?? Would DPC cream work better or do I need to repoint internally?
I have also built a stud wall internally which I am going to insulate and board. There is a 1/2 inch gap between the new stud and the solid wall.
As I have installed a second skin, is there a need to treat the rising damp on the outer skin?

Help appreciated.
Photos below.

Attachments

• IMG_8512.jpeg
    IMG_8512.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8511.jpeg
    IMG_8511.jpeg
    195 KB · Views: 17
Sponsored Links
Would DPC cream work better

no, you need to find the source of water and repair the fault.

unless it is built in a swamp or a pond, the water might becoming from a broken drain, or a gutter or downpipe, or a leaking waterpipe.

there might be a leaking pipe in or under the floor, especially if it is a concrete floor poured to conceal damp.

most houses have a DPC. Does yours? How old is it?

the mortar replaced by mud is common in older homes with lime mortar, which is often washed away by long term drain leaks.

when you have dug out and repaired the fault, you can hose out the mud and pack in fresh mortar. Below ground, you can use cement mortar, which strengthens well in wet conditions. Make a stiff mix and ram it in very hard. Start at the bottom of the wall.

Underground walls do not need to "breathe"

p.s.

as you have built studwork against a wet wall, the studs will rot and the plasterboard will increase damp by preventing evaporation.

Sponsored Links
no, you need to find the source of water and repair the fault.

unless it is built in a swamp or a pond, the water might becoming from a broken drain, or a gutter or downpipe, or a leaking waterpipe.

there might be a leaking pipe in or under the floor, especially if it is a concrete floor poured to conceal damp.

most houses have a DPC. Does yours? How old is it?
Thanks for the input.
I have had the roof done, guttering doing, mortar repointed and satellite dish removed.
The guttering was leaking down the wall and also dripping off the satellite dish, wish has resolved damp higher up.
But there is still rising damp. There is no DPC. The house is 120 years old.
I have tried installing dryzone dry rods, but it is not dissolving, probably because mortar is old/mud like.

What should I do to damp proof and stop the rising damp?

Thanks,

the mortar replaced by mud is common in older homes with lime mortar, which is often washed away by long term drain leaks.

when you have dug out and repaired the fault, you can hose out the mud and pack in fresh mortar. Below ground, you can use cement mortar, which strengthens well in wet conditions. Make a stiff mix and ram it in very hard. Start at the bottom of the wall.

Underground walls do not need to "breathe"
Thanks John,

What should I use to repoint above ground?

if the house was originally built with lime mortar, it's usual to use the same for repairs and renovations.

if you house is built in hard impervious stone, it probably doesn't matter, but an old house enthusiast will complain if its lost originality.IMO cement is better below ground because it does not melt away in water

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back