DAMP IN FIRST FLOOR BEDROOM

Sponsored Links
As mentioned in previous post, you may have to use a soakers

http://www.leadsheetassociation.org.uk/html/1401.html

I know it won't be easy to use a garden hose up there but it's really the only way to find out sometime but safely must come first.

Maybe if you could run a sealant under the lead flashing edge all the way down then wait for the next rain and see what's happening, again safely at that height must come first.

masona said:
Maybe if you could run a sealant under the lead flashing edge all the way down then wait for the next rain and see what's happening, again safely at that height must come first.

This is your best bet I'd say.

Just spoken to an architect, and straight away he said to lift all the coping stones and put lead underneath.

What do you think?

Sponsored Links
IMO the problem has been caused because the flashings are incorrect. Each piece of flashing/soaker is trapping water which finds its way inside; I expect that the water was originally kept out by the underfelt which has now rotted.

Large format flat tiles should always have a secret gutter formed from lead or GRP with a lead cover flashing over.

Change this detail and I'm sure you will get rid of the problem

Well I have been advised by both my builder and an architect to do this, so I will give it a go. If it works brilliant, if not I'm not paying them anyway!

Why not just do the sealant first, it's the cheapest way to find out!

Becasue he has had a great deal of experience dealing with problems over the years, and I trust him.

Plus, if he's wrong he is going up there with a ladder unitil it's fixed ;)

Not again! Why are these people using general builders for roofing work.
The problem is obvious, no architect is needed as 'ROOFER' says there needs to be a secret gutter fitted under these tiles a lead cover flashing on it's own is no good full stop. As there is no profile to the tile any wind driven rain will go straight in underneath and chances are the 'builder' hasn't replaced the felt with a decent size turn-up against wall either. Any half decent roofer could have sorted this problem from the start. Also putting lead under the first coping and then fixing the coping with a bolt (which has then put a hole through the lead) says it all really. Get a roofer in.

The "builder" has just tested the roof with a hosepipe and found a leak through one of the ridge vents for an old boiler. It was tracking across the underfelt to the internal face of the gable wall.

At least I've saved a load of money on lead, and it wasn't what anyone supected.

I will wait for the next heavy rain with anticipation. Bet I'm the only one wishing for a storm!

Thanks for all your help everyone.

James

professorhinky said:
There is no evidence internally of water ingress at the ridge and the builder checked th ridge whilst he was there. :confused:

Can you post a picture of the ridge in question (from outside) as .....

The "builder" has just tested the roof with a hosepipe and found a leak through one of the ridge vents for an old boiler. It was tracking across the underfelt to the internal face of the gable wall.

I'm picturing 'bob' stood there spraying water up through the gaps in ridge vent!!?

At least I've saved a load of money on lead, and it wasn't what anyone supected.

Wouldn't be so sure!

I will wait for the next heavy rain with anticipation.

Watch this space!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back