Damp in loft despite breathable membrane (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Call me paranoid but I don't believe the so called breathable membrane (used instead of traditional felt) in my extension loft is really all that breathable. I've had problems with mould and condensation (and yes I've ensured soffit vents are clear of lagging). Would it be OK if I cut a few slits in this supposedly breathable membrane, to help ventilation?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If its insulated there may not be sufficient ventilation between the rafters.

Blup

Is it OK to fit these on the breathable membrane? I would have to cut slits for them to go in. I didn't know if I was OK to cut the membrane or if that would ruin it somehow.

I already have a few lap vents in a felted section of the roof.

Sponsored Links
Breathable membrane is there to let water vapour out but prevent ingress from any rainwater/dust etc that gets beneath the tiles. By all means cut slits in it if you want.

There is a known issue with breathable membrane not performing, and not being seen to perform as expected.

The better type is termed "Air-open" and performs better.

Also the membrane should be fitted sagging between rafters, many roofers fit it too tight.

BTW, if you have excess condensation then that normally means you have excess warm air getting into the roof void. Check the insulation or leakage from the room below or the part of the roof it's attached to.

Thanks, I think the problem is the roof section in question is possibly only around 2m in width, so possibly if there's a join it could be right near the bottom where I can't see it. So if I want to fit lap vents my only option would be to cut slits to fit them.
EDIT: Just had a closer look and I found the join! Going to shove some lap vents along it this week and see if that helps. cheers

Last edited:
There is a known issue with breathable membrane not performing, and not being seen to perform as expected.

The better type is termed "Air-open" and performs better.

Also the membrane should be fitted sagging between rafters, many roofers fit it too tight.

BTW, if you have excess condensation then that normally means you have excess warm air getting into the roof void. Check the insulation or leakage from the room below or the part of the roof it's attached to.
Thanks, it's clear the membrane isn't letting out the warmer air, because the worst condensation is on the roof valley on membrane side (new roof section).

I have never noticed any condensation until this new roof section was added, possibly because i've never had any roof valleys before.

I already checked for air leakage from below a while back. Found and covered a couple holes left by plumbers (removed pipes but left holes in ceiling, duh).

What gets me though is the only place I see condensation is these plastic roof valleys. They are only perhaps 3mm thick, exposed on both sides to air of differing temperatures, it's just gonna happen, no matter what. The only places it doesn't happen is the section where the two layers of valley plastic 'overlap', giving it double thickness and therefore no condensation.

Another point - there's no vapour barrier, just lagging on plasterboard. Is that something that would help if I put a barrier under the lagging?

Attachments

• 20221224_101256.jpg
    20221224_101256.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 70

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back