Damp odour in bedroom. Adding Airbricks as Cavity wall vents (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all what I want to do is put some air bricks on the outer wall of the house but not sure if it is a good idea.

Sponsored Links
Because I have ground/ table water under my house and I get a moldy smell in the front bedroom which I think is coming up the cavity.

So you think putting some vents in will make the mouldy smell dissappear outwards and not permeate internally? Can't really offer any reasoned argument for doing it but a consequence could be that you have a ventilated cavity that will reduce your overall heat retention capacity of your structure. Good luck with solving your issue

Sponsored Links
Because I have ground/ table water under my house and I get a moldy smell in the front bedroom which I think is coming up the cavity.
You might be best increasing the ventilation of the sub floor to stop the mould source

are The external walls in the bedroom very cold - have you checked behind any wardrobes to see if there’s mould

Is your cavity open in the loft, they are sometimes, if so it is probably already sufficiently ventilated.

Show us the dpc in the wall, and how high it is above ground or paving level.

Is the floor concrete?

Also, please photograph the entire wall, all the way to the roof, showing gutters and downpipes.

Is the loft damp? Or the bedroom wall?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back