Damp on Chimney Breast (with photos)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening All,

I wonder if someone give some advice regarding the above?

I am having the room skimmed by a professional and wonder if I need to take any action regarding what looks like a damp patch on the chimney breast. The paper has been off for about 6 weeks but the area has remained the same. Difficult to explain but it definetly feels wetter than the surrounding area. There was a gas fire in place that I have just removed which was only ever used very occasionally in very cold weather when the CH was struggling. The chimney has not been swept since we have been in the property (13 years). Looking up through the chimney its very clean to me but this is the first time I have ever looked up a chimney so nothing to compare it against.

Any suggestions on the best course of action?

Hack off the affected area and repair?
Seal area with damp proof paint?
Take advice from the plasterer?
Ignore altogether?

Whatever course of action I don't want the damp to bleed through into the new skimmed finish as we will be emulsioning the wall.

Thank You.

IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0489.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

Sponsored Links
Those are some very impressive photos of your breast.

I would take advice from the plasterer, although I'd expect him to shrug and leave it to you to find some resistive paint.

The likely problem is contamination, rather than simply moisture. Chimney breasts soak up a lot of stuff over the years, and you might find that your bricks/mortar are saturated as a result of this.

I`m no builder but what is above & adjacent to your breast. (chimney)

Thanks for the comments so far.

To answer JonB's question, this is the front living room of the house with the front bedroom above. The chimney breast is on an outside wall with alcoves either side.

Sponsored Links
I had simular wasnt sure if it was the plaster or damp, only way I could find out was run a hair dryer over it to see if it dried out. It did around the edges but there was still what appeared to be a damp patchs.

Anyway it turned out to be a leak which was sorted but still the patches that appeared damp but were not were there. If you look a pic below you can see the patches that wont change from a damp colour in the middle. They are kind of islands with a dry patch then the damp.

I Had to use stain block paint in the end. Anyway put a hair dryer on it and see if it dries out then see if returns. Real pain in the ar*e I know.

:p

Picture of it,

http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/3196/3586/0/643307/image-upload-10-708062.jpg

Tried the hair dryer on it but no change whatsoever so I guess it must be residual.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back