damp on chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Please can someone help this chimney is driving me mad.

I bought my 1st home last year and noticed when it rained that a massive damp patch occured at the bottom of the chimney breast on the ground floor, the chimney is in the centre of the house, not on an external wall. The patch stays there but will eventually dry out, the plaster becomes chalky. I obviously presumed this was due to a leak from the chimney and paid £400 for a roofer who agreed that was the problem to fix the chimney. Well 4 months on, it rained 3 days ago a to my despair i noticed this bloody patch again, seem to have got higher now. Only other info I can give is that the floors are concrete,
Have no idea what direction to go in now. ANy info would be so great,
Thanks a woman in despair!!!

Sponsored Links
What did the roofer do for his £400?
is the vent in use?

he said he repaired some brick work, flashing, and pointed the sides? does that sound about right?

Sponsored Links
Have you any idea of the type of cap being used on top of the stack for the flue? and if you have a flue liner. sorry about the questions but they are all relevant.
Or if you can post a pic of the chimney stack.

I'll take a picture in the mornign and post it as i have absolutely no idea. thankyou for your time!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back