Damp ... or the effects of remedied damp??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been in my end of terrace approx 1910 house for around a year. If looking at the property from front to back, I have a front sitting room, separate dining room behind that (which would have been the original back room), with a kitchen extension on the back.

The middle room has suffered from damp patches on the wallpaper since I moved in. These were odd, no consistency to them so assume not rising damp. A few were on internal walls, roughly at skirting board level. The larger stains were on the external wall, which also contains the chimney breast. Part of the staining extends from chimney breast and wraps around to external wall. There was never any mould evident and no real damp smell. In the past I suspect damp problems did occur, as the original wooden floor has been totally replaced with cement floor. I would've expected a proper damp proof would've been installed, so don't understand the stains on internal walls. On taking up the carpet, there is no evidence of damp staining, except next to a radiator where there was also some rotten skirting, so assumed a previous rad leak, this isn't ongoing. My dad totally cleared out the cavity, it was blocked in places with rubbish so this may have been the original cause of dampness, as could have been a blocked sewer running along the outside wall. In the middle room, on the wall facing onto the exterior, my dad took off the plaster back to the bricks ... and it was completely dry. He painted a black tar waterproofing layer, re-rendered and skim plastered. But, it appears some of the staining is coming back. Could this be because he didn't take off enough ... I have read something about salts coming back if not treated properly. It could be that condensation is contributing to the problem - in a few weeks am having cavities insulated, will this help? There is also poor air circulation in this middle room. However, I have never seen condensation on the windows.
I have now removed all wallpaper, underneath seems to be some vinyl paint, I am scraping this off where I can to let the walls breathe.

I just don't know what to do next - should we attempt again to treat the affected areas by removing plaster, re-rendering, etc - how much of a margin around the original stain do we need to go? Or could there be another cause to this problem ... dad did the same with an internal wall patch, and this is begining to come back again, though not as dramatic. Should we be thinking that there is a failure in damp proof course, although this seems unlikely when both areas proved to be bone dry underneath the plaster.

Any pointers would be helpful.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
...My dad totally cleared out the cavity...
...I have read something about salts coming back if not treated properly... ...It could be that condensation is contributing to the problem - in a few weeks am having cavities insulated, will this help?...
There is also poor air circulation in this middle room. However, I have never seen condensation on the windows...

I am not an expert in this area, but similar to your experience I am buying a late Victorian building which is suffering damp. As a result I am busy learning about the causes and cures.

What I have found out during my investigations is condensation is a likely cause. Hydroscopic salts http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygroscopy get pulled up the wall from the ground below, once in the wall they then pull moisture out of the air. If the air is not being replaced with dry new air then moisture builds up.

You mention your Dad clearing a cavity - it wasn't clear where this cavity was exactly? You also mention that your floor has been replaced by a cement floor at some stage. What I have learnt is that old houses are not designed to be sealed up - so by sealing the floor it may make the house feel warmer compared to draughty floorboards but the wet has to go somewhere... where does it go? It can just go straight up your walls and drag these salts with it!

What happened to the air bricks under your old suspended wooden floor?

I think that before you do any more expensive/destructive work such as hacking off plaster you should eliminate as much condensation from the house as you possibly can and see what difference that makes and then re-evaluate the situation. Where do you hang wet clothes? If anywhere near this affected room - change your drying habits. Are your drying machines, kitchen extractor, bathrooms vented to the outside? If not can you do that easily.

Open more windows when you can - get the air circulating. Try a dehumidifier (just as a test not as a permanent solution - you might be able to borrow one or hire one rather than buy one).

Your plans to add insulation will lower your heating bills but might make the condensation worse not better if it further inhibits the circulation of fresh and drier air.

Lastly, have you checked for simple maintenance issues on the outside walls such as leaking guttering pipes or poor pointing to bricks allowing moisture to penetrate.

Very lastly, I got a damp and timber report for £80 - the report included quotes for fixing stuff and it included a plastering specification - this was a detailed description including diagrams about how the plastering should be hacked off (to what height) and then how to seal and then replace the plaster correctly (including the right plaster type for the different rooms and situations). Even if I don't use the company to do the work and do it myself at least I have a detailed spec to tell me how and how much etc.
This might be a good thing to think about yourself.

Good luck, and hopefully it's just condensation and changing a few things will keep it at a manageable level.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back