Damp problem

Cheers all

Really appreciated and taking it all on board, only problem is all remedies are starting with a dry wall and I'm a long way off that :(

Sponsored Links
i'm just stating what the product is designed for thedec.

would you recommend sealing in a newly plastered room with alkali resisting primer as the plaster has been applied wet and dried? or would you apply a mist coat and only apply the primer to effected areas?

Well your a Decorator are you not, if so you should know.

Dec

what i am getting at is that i would personally only prime effected areas. if the damp has dried out and no efflorescence is apparent i would apply either a stain block or oil undercoat to stop the stain re activating.

you on the other hand would use alkali on all previously wet then dried out plaster. since plaster is applied wet then you would theoretically use alkali resisting for the lot.

Sponsored Links

Dec

what i am getting at is that i would personally only prime effected areas. if the damp has dried out and no efflorescence is apparent i would apply either a stain block or oil undercoat to stop the stain re activating.

you on the other hand would use alkali on all previously wet then dried out plaster. since plaster is applied wet then you would theoretically use alkali resisting for the lot.

Well that is the biggest load of tosh that I have ever heard.

Dec

Dec

Well that is the biggest load of tosh that I have ever heard.

Dec

which part?

Do you know I am almost tempted to guide you through the procedure with regard to the application of an Alkali Resistant Primer, also the productive factors involved with their application, and the benefits and pitfalls confronted with regard to use of any product that contains Oleoresin as it's binder. But I won't!!

Dec

Most posts are suggesting ways to cover up the damp walls for decoration but I would be more concerned about curing the source of the dampness.
Your theory about the hopper certainly sounds feasable but the fact that a new floor has been fitted and the walls have been replastered rings alarm bells for me.
Rather than thinking about decoration I would be concentrating on making sure the walls have completely dried out and the problem is solved. Then decor should not present such a problem.
I use a protimeter ( dampness meter) which, if you used one you would see the wall gradually starting to dry out ,now that you have eliminated the hopper problem.
Best luck.
This type of meter is ideal http://www.thermosensedirect.com/acatalog/moisture.html#HT-123

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back