United Kingdom
467748CA-7B62-4221-BD12-F106F07068D0.jpeg
8832404C-D535-4ECD-A9DC-C8391ECADF35.jpeg
F060333E-AC28-4AB6-9D10-DEE20D0BDE35.jpeg
467748CA-7B62-4221-BD12-F106F07068D0.jpeg
8832404C-D535-4ECD-A9DC-C8391ECADF35.jpeg
F060333E-AC28-4AB6-9D10-DEE20D0BDE35.jpeg
Hi,
I’m on a house refurb and have subcontracted the damp proofing to a company. I have left them too it for a week and they have now told me they have finished. The walls have been rendered to a good standard but the problem I’m having is that I’m not sure if they have injected the holes with liquid.

It’s a mid terraced property and the whole of downstairs is meant to have been damp proofed. The holes have been drill into the brick. The render doesn’t cover them up internally so I am able to poke an 8mm drill bit too the bottom of the hole. Which seems very dry and doesn’t seem to be filled up with any liquid. The external front and back walls have a glupy liquid in th holes when prodded with the drill bit. But all of the side internal walls seem very dry and only brick dust.

My question really is, how long do the bricks take to soak up the pressure injected liquid? The injecting took place around 3-4 days ago.

I’ll try to add some pictures.
Thanks for any help offered in advance.

Sponsored Links
olismith24, good evening.

I see no indications of drips on the floor board, or indeed no "run" marks on the bricks?

I would at least expect to see some indications as above??

What does to property smell like? and is there any odour at or near the bored holes?

Ken

Is there possibly a run mark on the bottom picture?

No smell in the house. Haven’t actually smelt close to the holes.

Should there be a strong smell?

what material was used for the chemical DPC - injection cream from a cartridge or pressurised fluid?
and what method was used?
the bricks look to be perished - so its doubtful that pressure injection was used on crumbly looking bricks.
there's no mortar to speak of in the perps.
where they've drilled is really the only brick course available to inject.

the wall with the rad has not been rendered?
i assume that a remedial rendering material has been used?
the walls are poorly scratched, and lack a remedial skim finish?
areas look as though the suction wasn't taken up - hence the cracking.
plastic angle beads are used in damp work not metal. metal rusts.
has the chimney flue been swept?

the old hearth has been removed and covered with T&G floor boards - has the hearth soil infill been lowered?

any pro plasterer shouldn't leave the floor boards in that state. drop boards should have been used.

Sponsored Links
Answer to your questions bobasd:
  • Quote just states Silicone Injection fluid which is pressure injected.
  • The wall with the rad on is a return wall which is internal.
  • Having the whole house skimmed so damp company have rendered level with the original wall.
  • Will mention the beads being metal and not plastic
  • We haven’t swept chimney and not sure when done previously. Prior to hacking off plaster, chimney was boarded and not open.
  • Haven’t looked at the hearth soil. Will look on Monday.
What do you mean with regards to areas where the suction hasn’t taken up? Thanks for your help.

ref. suction, your pics (pic 6) show cracking and what could be loose areas? this is typically caused by suction not being taken out of the background - ie two coats of Pva or water sprinkling - before plastering.
what material was used for rendering?
in an old house like yours - all chimney flues must be swept, and camera, and vented top and bottom.

I think it may just be visual. I felt if any areas were brittle but it seems very strong. Not sure what material used. Will get flues checked.

Would I expect to feel any liquid in the bottom of the holes?? I can’t see how it all soaks I’m so quickly and goes back to dry brick dust???

determining what, and how much, DPC fluid or cream has been used is often a job for chemistry analysis.
there are lots of law suits and disputes over this.

eg one trick the D&T companies use is to drill the holes, to whatever depth, and then to simply spray the brickwork and holes with fluid.
this makes for a material and labour saving job, and is hard to prove what they've done.

You got any further with finding out if it done properly. Some of those holes still look like they have loose brick dust on !!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back