Damp proof course location? (see photos)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Can anyone tell me where my damp proof course is likely to be? See photo here -
Is it the black strip below the brick or the lighter plasticy layer above it? By the way the house is circa 1970s.

I ask because there's some slabs right next to the house and they go right up the the bottom edge of the air brick - see

I'm concerned that ground level is at the level of the DPC, which I understand may be bad from a damp point of view. If this is the case, should I be worried?
Is there anything I can do short of getting the slabs ripped up and starting again?

Many thanks, Jamie

Sponsored Links
I'd guess that the DPC is just below the air bricks ( 3" above ground level) - perhaps the upper material has something to do with the render?
Where is your internal floor level located on the pic?

Do you have any internal damp issues?

The plastic above the vents was used to protect the brickwork during construction and rendering, the dpc is below the vents.

Thanks for the replies.

We have no damp issues. We recently bought the house, and there was nothing bad on the surveyors report about damp. Since buying it we've had the slabs installed (by a family friend). I'm just looking for a second opinion really.

Is this likely to cause problems years down the line? If so, is there anything i should do now to prevent it?

I've actually just had a good look at another part of the house (unrelated to the new slabs) and some of the ground level is actually half-way up the air bricks! Which seems like even more of a problem.

Thanks again, Jamie

Sponsored Links
jambojambo, Hi.

The "visqueen" clear plastic seen just below the Roughcast Render, was placed on the top of the base course finished block to in effect act as a protection to the facing block below the Roughcast render, this protection was to stop the worst effects of the roughcast being applied hitting the facing block work. On completion the Visqueen was / is simply torn off, roughly in places

As for the DPC Proper, that is indeed the black layer seen below the air bricks in your first picture, but, in the second image posted it would appear that the DPC and the ground level are one of the same thing, no clearance between the ground level and the DPC.

In time, any water ponding at this area where the DPC and the Ground level meet should be adjusted, in that the slabs should, if possible, given the local topography for on-going draining of rain water away from the slabs in this area.

In effect dig up the slabs and reduce there level.

Ken

jambojambo, hi again.

Looks as if our posts have crossed?

it appears that your Surveyor missed the un modified area of slabs that are half way over the Air Bricks? not a good idea, any ponding rain water / snow melt will simply run into the properties Underbuilds areas.

You could go back to the Surveyor and ask why he missed this easy to spot defect?

Ken

Yeah KenG, I'd like to know that too. Home Reports aren't the whole truth in my experience.

Anyways, thanks for all the replies. I guess my options are to drop the level of the ground closest to the house, or to install pebbles/aggregate in the gap between slabs and house to improve drainage.

As for the other area where air-bricks are covered, the slabs need replacing there anyway so will fix it when we come to do that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back