Damp Puzzle

OP. You need to sort this as a matter of urgency. If you have leaking drains then your house will start to sink in that areas - subsidence is VERY bad news for a house.

Sponsored Links
The lower part of the external wall is very damp and looks to me like the lower wall and floor is basically sitting in water when it rains heavily. The lower wall is also still very damp when the wall looks basically dry - that probably means the ground does not drain very well.

My advice is dig a 450mm trench around the base of the wall - and if possible one leading a couple of meters away from the wall (sloping away) and fill with 100mm clean stone. Top off with Cerney stone or similar. That will improve the drainage and most lilkely solve the base problem. You then might need to consider improving the plaster surface to eliminate any hygroscopic salts.

1. There are no signs of water erosion causing subsidence or any other kinds of sinking to your property.

2. OP, It was mentioned, in the first replies to you last wednesday, to investigate the RWP. Given that it goes into cast iron it's most likely connected to the main drainage.
Glistening drops of moisture can be seen in the pic, so dig out around the connection to determine if the first 12" of CI are sound.
Then take ladder and a hose and go up to the gutter outlet and spray down the RWP while someone observes at the nearest manhole for a water inrush, or a water back up at the RWP/CI connection.
Alternatively, you might disconnect and remove the lower length of RWP, and have a free shot at the CI.

3. I'd suggest, dont do anything else until you have cleared up at least this one variable.

Sponsored Links
OK so just dug out some of the concrete around the downpipe - the iron is only about 10" long and it exits above a clay (?) drain pipe - squirted a hose down and it did drain away OK (who know where to though ... It didn't appear at the manhole down the side of the house)

There's also another plastic downpipe at the back of the house - this also goes into a clay pipe ... again not sure of the route ... again the water I squirted down didn't appear at the manhole

Thanks for your prompt response:

So, whatever it is; sump drainage or main drainage, it's draining and not backing up.
So, eliminate drainage from the list of suspects.

But why is the soil so damp in that particular area? Perhaps test a few other spots near the building to see if it is indeed isolated damp, or common to the site?

If a pipe was leaking inside the bathroom, it's doubtful that it would mostly find its way out and not show up inside? Or is the under floor pipe now coming into prominence? Is there any way of making it redundant and supplying the WC from another source? Just a thought.

And while my bright ideas are coming and going, has the ( as suggested above ) trench been dug, and the brickwork cleaned?

Well to be fair I didn't squirt much water down :)

Will have another go after the weekend

You've got a soakaway that can't handle heavy rainfall so it leaks out under your house. Won't be long before your house starts to sink.

You could just get another 4m lenght of down pipe and an off set and rig it to your old down pipe so the water off the roof is clearing the suspected area, and monitor it for a bit and if it clears up then you would have to think the problem it is under ground.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back