Damp Puzzle

If we rule out the toilet pan itself one thing that stares out is the wall injection, was this in response to dampness? or was this part of some upgrade/grant or other?
The half doz slabs the water butt is sitting on in the pic, are they in contact with the external wall by any chance?
Since removing the toilet pan has it rained and if so, has the damp come back or is everything o.k...pinenot

Sponsored Links
Hi all - yeah am reasonably sure the pan itself isn't leaking as its occured since it was removed.

I guess a leaking pipe under the floor would cause the same problem ( I have my suspicions about the CW fed to the WC which is under the floor)

The slabs are about 2" away from the wall

I also noticed that the plastic downpipe outside connects to what looks like a metal socket in the ground - the socket is pretty rusted .....

The cold water feed pipe would not be effected by rain or any increase in ground water, what could bring about the effect your seeing is the injection of a damp proof course.
This comes about because any self-controlling moisture within the build itself, is effectively damned at the new damp proof course, and as we all know water has to go somewhere. If the problem didn't exist prior to the damp-proof course being injected (especially along the grout route you marked), then you most likely have your answer. If on the other hand the damp patches are all in the same locations, then it's back to the drawing board...pinenot :unsure:

That part of the house has always been very damp - which is why the builder suggested injecting it

Here is a close-up of the down-pipe - it looks as though it is connected to a metal (rusted) pipe ?

Sponsored Links
Dig it all up and have a look. It's pointless all this guessing.

Something in that brick work looks a bit odd, has that back bit been added on to the original house and do you know if it is a solid wall or not ?

Ha yeah I know Joe

Just trying to decide the most likely/least destructive place to start :)

1) Removed the WC already - that seems OK
2) Already dug trench around the worst of the damp bit of the wall

so do I ...

a) Remove boxing in to check new plastic pipes (they were there for a long time before the boxing in and I'm pretty sure are OK)

or

b) Investigate the down-pipe and its rusty metal connection

or

c) Take up a floor tile and check out the very old copper pipe that's under the concrete .....

I think b), c), a) ??

It is original but there was a doorway behind the waterbutt - its been bricked up some time ago - yeah sold walls

I reckon that down pipe might be a good place to start.

I have seen similar problems in the past and when I dug it up it only went in the ground 6" and that was it.

Actually - if you don't mind another couple of questions..

1) Would you expect a Victorian semi to have separate rainwater and foul water drains ?

2) If I wanted to rent a drain CCTV - is it possible to cut a section of the downpipe and patch it afterwards ?

Thanks

They often have a soakaway. Don't bother with a cam - dig de bogga up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back