Damp question in house I'm looking to buy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm interested in buying a house that's for sale and went for a viewing yesterday. All went well with the exception of damp in the lower section of one of the walls. The estate agent said he believes it's due to the house not being lived in for over a year, and the fact that the vegetation to the alley at the side of the house overgrowing against the house and possibly breaching the DPC.

Does this sound plausible? Do you think if I cut back the vegetation and put in a trench filled with chippings along the length of the house it should eradicate the problem?

Here's a photo of the house now compare with when it was occupied over a year ago, along with a photo of the damp that I took yesterday -

Thanks
Jon

Sponsored Links
Blimey!
Does this 'damp' extend along this entire wall?

Is the rendering on the side of the house higher than the ground level... if it's down to the ground, then it presumably has bridged the DPC (if there is one) could do with more pics.

Possibly bridging of the dpc or penetrating damp, does the wall face away from the sun?

Vegetation doesn't seem immediately plausible if you're a buyer.

Has it had a new render or paint coat as the colours seem different in the pics?

Maybe a structural survey would assist or a visit by a builder you know and trust.

Blup

Estate agents answer is a bit of sales patter, sound plausible but likely to be bollards.......just ignore.

You can only judge on what you find. Gable end walls can get a bit of beating weatherwise, they have a big area of wall to catch rain, which runs down to the bottom.

The damp issue can prob be solved, if you like the house, I wouldnt say its a deal breaker, but you need to get a feel for the cost of sorting out.

Sponsored Links
The render may have bridged the dpc as stated, maybe air bricks were blocked up too.

The "when occupied" picture has what looks like a back filled trench - what was it like before i.e. did the former ground level bridge the dpc.

Blup

Thanks for the replies, I'll try and answer your questions -

It extends along most of that wall, yes. It starts at the bottom of the stairs, can't tell yet if it's under the stairs as the cupboard was a bit full, then continues along that wall in the dining area. Doesn't appear to be in the kitchen or at the far end of the dining area though.

The wall is south west facing so does get quite a bit of afternoon sun in the summer.

Will have to go and have a look at the rendering on that wall.

The occupied image was from Google Maps, dated 2009 and I'm not sure if there has been any new render or paint coat.

Will get a builder to come with me on the next visit I think

Thanks
Jon

The render is more than likely bridging that damp course if it isn't the mud

I would remove the mud and look for a damp course

If not found take the render up till you find it

Make good the edge of the render so it finishes above the damp course.

And remove the mud to 150mm below dpc.

Remove the damaged plaster inside
The damp inside should dry out
then patch plaster

Would not put me off buying the house.

All withing the realms of DIY and the patching of plaster is cheap compared to your overall cost of redecorating

as above its no big deal damp is a itscommon fault in older end terrace gables.
as above a rics survey before you buy is thing to do.
dont let what you show above put you off buying but first get the survey

the render might have to come off after inspection - maybe all of it renewed. it could be original render prettied up with paint for the sale.any paint should be masonry paint.
and the interior plaster as wellto one metre high the length of the gabl incl the kitchen.
you dont replaster with gypsum you use lime render.

the joists in any hallway usly runinto the gable so the joist ends could be rotted.
the grounds high but thers a air brick showing.air bricks should be sittin on any DPC every couple of metres and ther should be more a/bricks at the front and rear of the house.
dpc's shouldnt be bridged by soil.
thers also a front garden wall butting up to the solid wall that could be bridging.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back