Damp re-appearing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have been doing some reskimming in a colleagues house she has is now doing up. Old terrace, bay window. On one of the lower bay walls was a damp area, just over a foot square, maybe more. I did take it back to brickwork and used hardwall prior to multi. That was a few months back. Apparently the damp has re-appeared. She has been trying to dry the room out since that time. I'm not sure really what to do at the moment, should I buy one of those damp metre gadgets? At what point would it be dry enough to re-attempt the job?
Also I need to repoint a few mortar joints near ground level on another job, what is the right mix for this? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Have been doing some reskimming in a colleagues house she has is now doing up. Old terrace, bay window. On one of the lower bay walls was a damp area, just over a foot square, maybe more. I did take it back to brickwork and used hardwall prior to multi. That was a few months back. Apparently the damp has re-appeared. She has been trying to dry the room out since that time. I'm not sure really what to do at the moment, should I buy one of those damp metre gadgets? At what point would it be dry enough to re-attempt the job?
Also I need to repoint a few mortar joints near ground level on another job, what is the right mix for this? Thanks in advance.
what you should have done is take it back to brick, if its rising damp inject the wall with dryzone cream, then rerender with dry coat or sand and cement http://www.twistfix.co.uk/damp_proofing/?gclid=CNGG88rvwKMCFYlg4wodN0o7ag

http://www.british-gypsum.com/produ...stle_undercoat_plasters/thistle_dri-coat.aspx
if i was you i would take the hardwall off ,cure the damp problem and rerender with materials mentioned above

you dont need a damp meter if you can see that the area is damp, take it back to brick as steve suggests, you really need to find the source of the damp entering, perhaps a damaged cill on the window or some poor pointing or sealing around the window? hardwall is no good on a damp background.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back