Damp 'Shed'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I have got a brick built shed attached to the house, the garden is quite steep and half the shed is pretty much cut into the garden (as it was when built)...

My Q... I am going to convert it into an office but the back half of the shed is full of damp, is there anyway i can get the damp sorted out without having to dig up the outside of the shed (the bit thats cut into the garden).

If there is no other way, how would i treat the damp and prevent the return of it, what sort of barrier would be best (plastic membrane/steel/ etc)

Cheers
Matt

Sponsored Links
i suspect you already know that there is no easy fix to this problem.

soil is full of stuff that you would rather not have leaching indoors. particularly when the weather is a little moist.

the only way to prevent ingress into the masonry is to dig away the soil and lay down a protective membrane before back filling.

:idea: if you can, avoid back filling altogether. :idea:

Hi Noseall,

If i dug down to the floor of the shed, placed a thick polythene membrane on the wall then back filled it with pea shingle with a drainpipe effort draining it onto the steps or summik.... would that work?

Sponsored Links
Have a look at this product before you start digging.......

http://www.chowgulekoster.com/wpkdsystem.htm

And if you still intend to dig then still consider using it on the positive side.
Though availability of this product is limited to specialized suppliers.
If you read through the link you will see that their are 3 stages involved in the treatment.

We only use one. The KD2 Blitz powder. And its dynamite at stopping leaks on the negative side. Its an industrial product so not something you can purchase down at your local B&Q.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back