plastic shed and condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again, have just posted my first query, forgot about my shed query, here we go......I have a plastic shed in my garden and yesterday when checking for damage after high winds that inside the roof of the shed the ceiling was dripping with condensation! Can anyone advise on insulation for this type of shed....it has an integral plastic floor and sits on slabs...should I put a damp proof membrane under it, or would this not make any difference, I store seed products which should be kept dry and my house is very short on storage space so I need a dry shed, please can anyone offer help, many thanks, Marilyn.

Sponsored Links
Plastic shed is a condensation trap, so unless you leave the door open store your seed elsewhere.

yep bad news plastic perspex metal all sweat/rain

not easy to insulate as there is usualy very little to fix to

your choices are insulate vent or cover whats in there with waterproof covering also worth placing on pallets

Drill some holes in two opposite sides. Not too big and try to make them equidistant so it looks neat.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies received, read and understood, my shed is a 'Keter' plastic garden shed with 4 ventilation ports in the back wall -2 equidistant at the top and the same again at the bottom. So, should I still have to drill holes? Marilyn

Well if it already has vents that are doing no good then more probably won't make much difference. The moisture has to be coming from somewhere, do you put wet things in there or grow anything in there in moist soil?

If you can, fix some polystyrene sheet to the roof and south facing walls to keep the sun off.

Hello again, no, I don't have anything planted inside the shed, I do have bags of multi-purpose compost, so suppose moisture might be being drawn from these, but, would it make a difference if I laid a damp proof membrane beneath the shed, and I will take on board polystyrene sheets on the roof....I could use the holes which are inside the mouldings on the plastic roof straps to fix with ties or wire.....I am so grateful for all the advice given so far....many thanks Marilyn.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back