Damp / Slate DPC / Render Breaching

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi!

Recently purchased a C1856 settlers cottage that was assessed as having rising damp during the pre-inspection. Got an "expert" out to check and they confirmed rising damp, which they can fix for bulk coin. Been reading this forum and I am 100% certain I can do something about this without having old mate come and inject my walls. Looking to get some confidence boosting recommendations, and confirmation of actions, before I start regretting my life choices.

There are a few spots that show physical signs of damp internally, and I am focusing on the largest spot for this post. The internal damage is minimal, but I suspect renovations occurred prior to our purchase so unsure what has been covered up. Below I have included a picture of the skirting and wall that shows rotting of the board and a very slight patch coming through the paintwork.

The outside wall that corresponds to the internal skirting picture is 1cm think render which is hollow in a lot of places. I removed a portion of the render, and it was mildly wet. Kept removing render until the hollowness was gone. You'll notice there are some nice Knapen tubes that have been inserted post render, in what I imagine has been a lifelong attempt to fix the damp issue.

The render extends the complete wall and goes into the ground to ensure a good amount of water can be wicked up (assuming). The bottom of the wall has a rendered lip which I removed and found what I think is a slate DPC. Picture below. Can anyone confirm? You can also see that the slate DPC (??) is at ground level, with the concrete path perfectly in line.

Now, I am looking for some confidence boosting remarks that let me know I am doing the right thing by removing the hollow render and the render that covers the DPC bridged to the ground. As I remove the DPC render covering lip it is moist so I figure this is a good thing to be doing. I also intend to remove the concrete and drop the ground level, maybe putting in a french drain as they look pretty nice.

Any words of wisdom or feedback that I am an idiot for anything I have done so far, please do let me know.

PS. The house has a musty smell that I have determined is coming from the gap between the skirting and floor. There is one particular spot that is nearly 1cm that has a good draught coming up. If I place a candle in front of that gap the house smells lovely. The subfloor ventilation seems poor, especially since two extensions were added to each side of the house. The back wall, in these pictures, has had two air vents added, which were done poorly and have the smallest hole behind them. I will fix these.

Dan.

20231217_142216.jpg

20231217_142151.jpg

20231217_142141.jpg

20231216_201650.jpg

20231217_140939.jpg

Sponsored Links
The musty smell is mould spores, and if that mark on the skirting is rot, then your problem is more likely to be rising damp or the high paving level, and not necessarily the render issue. Is the floor void properly ventilated? You may need to check the void for rotten timber joists.

Those ceramic tubes for damp control are a discredited system, but should be open regardless.

I'm completely lacking knowledge in this area but I would say the subfloor ventilation is poor. The front of the house has 2 vents that are fully open with a quality install. The two at the rear, that I am replacing, look to be a rough knock out approximately 3cm wide and 10cm tall with a metal grill glued on. I've purchased some terracotta vents to match the front and will be making the cavities sized to suit.

I'm guessing the sides of the house had vents, but the extensions on either side have blocked them in toto.

Over the last few days, with the metal grills removed, I do notice a less musty smell. There is airflow that can be felt by hand, but it's by no means a forceful breeze. I do hope that it is working.

We had bulk rain last week that is not usual for this time of year so I thought that could be related. The previous owners did not mention anything, but who would as it's not really a great advertising campaign. "Best musty smell in Aus!".

There is no room to get under the floor. I'll pull the skirting sometime but opening up the floor is not a planned event this side of Christmas.

I plan to continue removing the render and opening up the slate DPC just because it is damp when I remove it. There is a smell to the wall when I pop off the render but whether it is similar to the musty smell is difficult to call. Your mould spores definately sounds like something I need to look at further.

Sponsored Links
Today I got around to removing the skirtingboard. It had turned to what I would describe as cork. The wooden supports behind the board were basically dust that once resembled wood.

There is a smell, as one would expect, but I'm not sure if it's the musty smell I am getting. I've been inside too long now that I'm just use to it. Hopefully it's linked. The floor joists I can see below look solid with no dampness. The skirting supports to the adjoining bits are also still wood (not dusty wet nastyness) which I am glad.

Any rough timeframe I should leave this all exposed to air dry and become fresh once again?

Cheers,

Dan.

20231220_151827.jpg

20231220_151808.jpg

20231220_151837.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back