Damp slowly penetrating : difficulty finding source

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Got some interior damp but already had the roof done (they cleared out the vegetation and painted a sealed a the top of the party wall). The neighbours also did likewise their side.

But ... it's come back, It's a small patch but persistent and some other coin sized area are a little damp.

What should I do ? Get a roofer to go up again - or is that a waste of time ? What if the source of the problem is not obvious ?

Is it better just to hack off the damp and mould and paint with breathable paint and wait until it gets bad enough to trace the problem ??

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Get the roofer back, and if you can take a pic of the roof it would help.

From what you describe I'm detecting a parapet wall capped with cope stones, yes??

Sponsored Links
Well .... up and down the road a fair few have this kind of sealer on the same bit of their roof ...

Is it a long-term problem getting it off ? Will it be a problem in future ?

It doesnt need to come off!

There are a few different methods to solve parapet walls which are letting water through, Either repoint, install a dpc, cover with lead or zinc etc.

painting will not last.

is there flashing or benching or something from wall to tiles?

what's on top of the wall?

we do like pics.

Well it's a tropical storm outside right now !!

Yes there is flashing between wall and tiles. And there is a "gable" at the front. So there is a V shape wedge at the front of the roof on that side which is flashed and has had some veg in it in the past ... but actually have a sim problem on the other side and the neighbours too so it seems like the terrace's masonry has reached a similar point.

My problem is that since this crappy seal has been put on there is still some small leaks coming through that wall ... and I don't know how easy it is going to be to see it ... from the pics there is a green patch that is coming through about 1m below the ceiling on that wall ... plus some other assorted little wet patches.

In the pic to the left of the green patch of mould is a plasterboarded section of the room ... possible that the entire V above is bleeding behind that plasterboard.

At the summit is a chimney stack, on the other side is another house in the terrace.

if it's a mortar fillet it probably wants pulling off and lead flashing installed.

Ask around for a better roofer.

I think what's required and being asked for is external pics of the cope stone, not internal pic's of the damp, which all but read in your reply. Please forgive me if that's wrong and take my purpose as asking you for some exterior pics, please...pinenot

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back