Damp wall in downstairs flat - now with pictures attached!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have been asked by the guy in the flat downstairs to investigate if my flat is leaking into his. They had some tilers in who have skimmed the wall, but won't put the tiles up as there is a damp section.

I can't see any leaks in my bathroom, and there is no evidence on the roof or upper walls of their bathroom - just around the bath. Can anyone give me an option (based on the attached pics) on where this leak could be coming from? I think it looks like it's coming up rather than down.

I am obviously a bit reluctant to start pulling up tiles etc in my bathroom if it isn't coming from me. I am completely happy to do so if it is - but just wondered if anyone had any advice.

Wall is concrete, and is an external wall.

Thanks

Kath

Sponsored Links

Top of wall showing (and feeling) no damp on ceiling or down the walls.

Damp area rising up from corner of the bath

Obvious thing to do would be to remove the bath panel and peer with a torch. COuld it be coming through from outside? What's behind the wall at the head of the bath (tap end)?

Otherside of the wall is outside. Well, presumably it's directly onto the brickwork that makes up the exterior wall. The building is very old.

I can't go and look at the back just now, I need to wait for the people in the back estate to come home.

The thing is it's not my flat. The owner is asking me to look to my flat first to see where it is coming from. I am reluctant to pay for a call out, when it might not be my fault.

However, maybe I just have to.

Let me put the question another way. It is possible/likely that a damp patch in the downstairs flat in this location can have come from my flat?

K

Sponsored Links
Put a level on the bath rim and make sure the bath is level in both planes (front to back and side to side). It could be just water, when showering, is just collecting in that corner because the bath is sloping that way (slightly exaggerated, but you know what I mean :)

Also, more often than not, the plastic/rubber hose in the shower flexible hose has a hole just where it comes out from the tap and water sprays the back wall. The mastic sealant will have let the water in at some stage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back