Damp walls and stopping the problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in the 'top' floor of an 1800's tenament block. There is someone above me but they really live in the roof. The problem is that I have damp walls in the living room and bedroom at the front of the building. And one of the windows is rotten. Anyways, I quickly realised the problem was the guttering, which is the lead lined parapet gutters. I've arranged to get this fixed.

My question is, when I come to replace the plaster in the front rooms, is there some sort of barrier I can put between my plaster and the outside wall to stop the damp from attacking the walls again if the gutter leaks? I seem to remember something like a tarpaulin sheet being used by a mate, but that might have been something else.

Sponsored Links
Not a good idea.....in fact you`re better off using breathable materials on the inside of what I guess is a stone wall :?: and let it all breath....in my opinion ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back