Damp / wet concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a utility room with a concrete floor. When it rains I've noticed the floor gets wet. Right outside this room are two drains - one is for the kitchen sink and boiler/washing machine waste trap and the other is for the guttering drain pipe from the utility room. There is also another hole right beside the drain in the corner. I think this is where the original drain might have been positioned before a garden gate was installed but I couldn't say for certain. When I pour water down this hole it seems to flow into the other drain.

I've yet to test with a hose pipe on a dry day if it's due to the drains. The idea is to run water down the drains to see if the floor get wet. If it doesn't get wet then its likely water/damp is rising from the ground seeping up the concrete in the absence of a damp proof membrane. Its definitely not from the roof as this is occurring inside the kitchen aswell where I have base units of the concrete floor and when I remove the plinth I can see its wet on rainy days.

How can I remedy this if it due to rising damp. Would a liquid dpm painted over the concrete help? I was looking at a product called drybase. Anyone know if its any good or suggest alternative?

Any advise appreciated to help diagnose the cause and fix.

Attachments

• 20231211_111751.jpg
    20231211_111751.jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 20231211_111929.jpg
    20231211_111929.jpg
    496.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 20231211_111949.jpg
    20231211_111949.jpg
    415.2 KB · Views: 30
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back