Damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a cupbord in the bedroom (1st floor) that has been used as a junk cupboard for many years. It has a musty smell to it and black kind of mossy spots on the wall. The door also fits tight. The external brickwork is in sound condition. Its not wet in any way

Now i have had a couple of builders out quoting seperate for it and along with other work. Some say all the plaster needs to come off and replastering with one mentioning a mortar screed that stops damp coming through.

Others have said, because its junk filled and the door is shut tight, bo air can get to it and thats the reason. To remedy clean up the moss using an anti fungal substance and just let in air. I want to put a louvre door on so that should be fine.

I want it fixing but dont want to get ripped off with unnessessary work.

Does the latter sound about right.?

Sponsored Links
Clear out the cupboard, give it a good wash down with bleach to kill all the fungal spores, and get some nice fresh paint on the go. Put on a louvre door as you said, to ventilate the cupboard, and that'll make all the difference. You'll save a fortune by doing it yourself.

Roughcaster.

As above, but bleach does not kill mould spores - use a proper fungicide

Sponsored Links
mossy spots on the wall

where are they - high up, low down or various

u need to find the cause. initial feeling is condensation (black mould is typical give away) but given door is tight fit then maybe not. if all the mould is low down would again point to condensation.

if it's high up or in various places it could be penetrating damp.

if it's condensation then no need for plaster off (do as other's say - clean & fit vent).

if it's penetrating then depends how much of an issue it is & how much damp there is - ranging from fungicide & vent, a paint on dpm, a complete knock off and treat.

the stick a piece of plastic over for 24hrs trick (i think woody's) will give an idea of how much damp there is (if it is penetrating not condensation)

Thanks guys. Sounds like it just needs airing. The marks are low down. All below knee height

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back