Damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I wonder if some one give me some advice on how to go about fix this damp problem.
I have some black and damp patches on an inside wall as you will see in the photos (photo 1)i have removed the skirting and i found a lot of debris behind it i have given it a good clean out and now i have a gap between the inner and outside walls,
I will leave the skirting of to see if it dries out
The other problem i have found is there was a fire place on this wall at some time (photo 2) what would be the best way here with the concrete floor to stop damp coming into the room
Any help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Hi outsider, you need to post your pics, 'edit' your post and click on 'show my images' and click on the photies. ;)

What exactly is the construction of your exterior wall. Is it a solid 9 inch brick wall with battens and plasterboard on the inside?

Sponsored Links
Hi Stuart45

Its granite blocks built around 1900 and is got wooden slats and plaster on the inside
i kind of expected this to happen with the age of the building but its what to do with the fire place or should i say the concrete base, i was thinking of putting a coat water repellent on it, i must say there was not a lot of damp & may be now i have cleaned out behind the skirting's that may well be the end of the damp i was looking to see if there was any think else i could do before i put the skirting's back on

Thanks again for your reply

The problem with plasterboard, or lath and plaster on battens without a vapour check is that water vapour can condense on the stone wall and cause dampness behind the plasterboard or lath and plaster.. Timber and damp walls are not a good mix and can be a breeding ground for dry rot, especially as you have timber floors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back