Damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Everyone :D , I am new to this site and in need of your help, I live in Bulgaria, and I have got a little bit of damp, I guess it would be about 3 meters accross the botom of the wall inside the house, but it's not continous, it's only in small patches about 4, here and there, the houses in Bulgaria do not have cavity walls, or a damp course, so I dont know what stops the damp anyway, apart from the fact that it is built on a concrete slab, can anyone tell me what I could do to stop this problem, out side there are no plants, or anyother growth near the house, and no drains,the damp patches are about 15 inches from the floor, above and below that the wall is fine. the outside wall is also fine all over.
Any help would be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks

NETSNIPER :D

Sponsored Links
Explore outside your house by digging down at the point of dampness.

see if the wall is damp outside as well as inside

ask softus about ways to cure rising damp (which may or may not exist)...(in your case)

What's the wall construction and how thick is it?

What's the wall coating on the outside and inside?

What's the roof construction?

Where are the chimneys relative to this damp patch?

How much rainfall has there been there recently?

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
What's the wall construction and how thick is it?

What's the wall coating on the outside and inside?

What's the roof construction?

Where are the chimneys relative to this damp patch?

How much rainfall has there been there recently?

Thank you all for your help :D

The walls are made with Earth Quake bricks and Concrete and is about 12 inches thick, the inside is plastered and painted

The render on the wall outside is a simular mix to concrete with a kind of rough fin and painted

The roof is tiled with spanish type tiles

The chimneys are are in the middle of the house about 4 or 5 meters away from the damp

not much rain, this damp apeared in the summer when the temp was about 35c
The house is only 7 years old, and no there are no gaurantee's in Bulgaria

Many Thanks
Netsniper :D

Is it possible that rain running off the roof is either dripping onto the walls, or splashing up from the ground? Do Bulgarian houses use gutters?

Go outside with an umbrella next time it rains heavily.

Is the concrete slab that your house is built on visible outside the house, or is it below ground level?

Now convince us that this isn't a wind-up, netsniper.

JohnD said:
Is it possible that rain running off the roof is either dripping onto the walls, or splashing up from the ground? Do Bulgarian houses use gutters?

Go outside with an umbrella next time it rains heavily.

Is the concrete slab that your house is built on visible outside the house, or is it below ground level?

Yes Bugarian modern houses do have gutters, and they are all fine.

Thanks
Netsniper
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Softus said:
Now convince us that this isn't a wind-up, netsniper.

This is not a wind up I came on this site because I can not solve the problem myself, what I mean by Earth Quake Brick ? is they are Earth qhake proof

Thanks
Netsniper

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

masona said:
netsniper - Can you do a photo?

Hiya masona, at present I am in the uk so it isn't possible for me to post some pics, but if I can give anymore info they ask, what I can tell you is when I scrape the black stuff off the wall inside it has a horrible smell?

Thanks
Netsniper

This is probably black mildew. It will grow on damp surfaces. You can kill it with bleach, after which it will clean off, but will come back if you do not solve the damp.

It is quite difficult to clean off if it has not been killed with bleach.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back