Dampness caused by boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently took the ceiling down in my Kitchen. the Kitchen is in a flat roof extension and I discovered a damp patch on the inside of the roof about 2 feet in front of the boiler.
I called out a roofing guy who told me that there was no leak in the roof and that it was in good condition.
He suggested that it may have been caused by the pipes from the boiler but he couldn't elaborate any further as he wasn't sure on what would have caused it.
The roof has dried out now and we had a lot of rain last night and the dampness has not retured so could this dampness have been caused by the boiler even though it was a couple of feet away and how do I rectify the problem?

Sponsored Links
If the pipes are carrying cold water (is this a combi ?), water from the air can condense on the cold pipe, and this will eventually drip off. Insulating the pipe will avoid this.

If any of the pipes are leaking, that's also a possible cause.

No there are no pipes in the vicinity of the damp patch.
The dampness was on the inside of the roof a couple of feet away from the pipes
roof.jpg

There is definitely no leak in the roof as we have had quite a bit of rain this week.

Sponsored Links
shaundiy said:
I recently took the ceiling down in my Kitchen. the Kitchen is in a flat roof extension and I discovered a damp patch on the inside of the roof about 2 feet in front of the boiler.

Was there a light fiting below it?

Could it be warm, moisture-laden air from the kitchen getting into the ceiling void and condensing on the cold surfaces within?

Also happens with airing cupboards in bathrooms, with all the holes for pipes going from/to the loft tanks. In really cold climates, you can find a skating rink in the loft.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back