Dampness in Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I do hope you can help, My garage is built with Breeze blocks then roughcasted, in the garage, only one of the walls has dampness showing, we cleaned the wall, then strapped the wall and covered with 1/4 inch ply wood panelling, dampness started comming through again, we cleaned the wood and then painted the wood, now I can see lots of specks of dampness comming through,. Would insulating the wall with insulation rolls help. The garage is only used generally to store things and park the car. I don't really need the garage to be kept warm, do I? Hope you can help :confused:

Sponsored Links
Assuming you have a dpc, you're going to get condensation on uninsulated walls.
When you park the car you'll raise the temperature of the garage, allbeit, slightly. The air, now with a higher moisture content will touch the walls and the moisture will condense on those walls.

You've several options, which could be combined for maximum effect: ventilation to remove themoisture laden air quickly, insulation to prevent the air from losing it's heat on contact witht the wall, vcl (vapour control layer) to prevent the moisture reaching the wall.

Usually the insulation and vcl go hand in hand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back