Damproofing/drylining a basement wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a basement which I intend turning into a garden room but would like to dry line it to make the breezeblock prettier. The dpc is at the top. How does one secure duplex plasterboard without nailing it through to battens? How does one hang cupboards without piercing the membrane :?:

Sponsored Links
duplex or foil backed boards need to be fixed with mechanical fixings i'm afraid. i'm not aware of any adhesives that will work.

membranes do get punctured by fixings, just like the underslaters membranes on a roof.

You really ought to think about waterproofing the basement before drylining - see http://www.safeguardeurope.com/products/fastframe-drylining.php I suppose you could use this type of system without the waterproofing membrane, but I'd think it would be asking for trouble. The main thing to note is how the special fixing plugs pierce the waterproofing membrane to create a seal. Battens can then be fixed onto the plugs (as they have a hole to accept a screw).

Excellent link, that`s just what one of these Expensive Expert companies will do @ great cost ;)

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your replies. :D
The walls at present do not feel damp but I am assuming they are as the ground level is 2metres higher on the outside. What will happen if I hang a dpc sheet over the wall? If I pierce the dpc with fixings will the damp permeate through?
I like what I read on the Safeguardeurope link but would a pump really be necessary?
:?:

The British Standard that covers basement waterproofing (BS8102) says that it should be assumed that water will come to bear against the basement at some point during its life. This effectively forces companies to recommend a sump pump. If you are doing the work yourself, you can make that judgement for yourself. If the basement has only ever been damp and has never flooded the chances are you don't need a sump pump. Whether you decide to risk not including a sump pump will also depend on what you are going to put in the basement. If you go for expensive decor and furnishings a sump pump may be a useful "insurance policy" even if you think the chance of the basement flooding is slim.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back