Damsal in distress

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So partner of 8 years decides to leave before Christmas and I'm now left with a large 4 bed semi which is getting damper by the day.

5 years ago he decided to pull off all the original render and it took him 4 1/2 years to scratch coat some of it.

With the bad weather and being on a hilltop, I am open to the elements. I have water literally running in above the living room window which is at the front of the house. The front original render was all knocked off and the top has been scratch coated. The bottom has actually been rendered. There is a line of bricks running across the middle. The idea was to pebble dash the top above the brick line, render the bottom. I dont know if it is the line of bricks creating the water problem, pointing failed or the fact that the top is only scratch coated.

In the kitchen, he installed a joist above a new window. The bottom of the wall has been scratch coated, the top is still bare. I now have damp running the whole length of where the joist is. The patches seem to be getting bigger and the whole section is full of efferescence(?) (looks like salt?).

My son's room is the top corner room at the front. I have just re-made his bed and the wall is black which would be the side of the house. There is a scratch coat on the outside of this wall. Is this the problem.

I am in part time work, fighting to stay in control with the mortgage and bills. There is no way I can afford to pay someone to finish the job off so am hoping for some tips or advice on how I can solve/stop the problem from escalating.

I am pretty good at DIY so will have a go at anything.

Any suggestions/advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back