Danfoss RX2 and TP5000 wireless problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I hope someone can give some advice on a problem I've had for 18 months on and off.

We have a house where the boiler (Vaillant Ecotec) is in a utility area at the back of the garage which is a corridor's width from the main house.

There are 2 walls between the RX2 receiver and the downstairs thermostat, distance I'd say 10m tops.

Every now and then either the heat keeps going up or down and it appears that the RX2 isn't receiving the signals very well. Batteries have been changed, metal objects on the shelves in line of sight removed etc but the problems continue - generally we have about 5 instances of something going wrong a week.

British Gas Homecare generally change the already changed batteries and we can never replicate the issue when they are here.

The TP5000 wireless stats seem to only send one signal out when the heat is too high or low and so if that is missed by the receiver this is when it goes pear shaped.

Are there either signal boosters, other wireless thermostats compatible with the RX2 or another solution to this problem you can think of?

I'm fed up of checking the stat 5 or more times a day to see if it's gone tits up again :D

Thanks,

Joe

Sponsored Links
Have you tried moving it closer to rule out obsticles in its way ? Thats what i had to do, i have 2 brick walls, stud wall and an ironing board in the way and it struggled.

Hi,

Thanks for responding so quick!

Yes we have considered it however the next closest place is in the kitchen where the internal door to the corridor (which is covered over between the house and garage) is not well insulated at all so as the kitchen is always a lot colder we figured the heat would never go off.

Yours,

Joe

From experience, when I ever come across these behaving like this, I always suggest replacing it with a Salus RT300RF (room stat only) or a RT500RF programmable room stat. I'd always re-program the frequency (on both transmitter and receiver) just in case someone has a similar unit nearby set on default frequency. Batteries (x2 AA) will need changing in about 12 months but that's about it. If your feeling adventurous, you can now get a version that can work with a smart phone (router required, Salus IT500).

James

Sponsored Links
That's the one. Don't worry about trying to keep the existing receiver, just replace the whole lot. It comes with transmitter (programmable room stat with batteries and a stand) and a receiver (wires in to boiler and mains supply just like existing receiver).

Just seen that your existing receiver is a RX2 (I.e. 2 channels), I'm presuming one is for heating. Is the second channel for domestic hot water cylinder stat or a second heating zone?

The Salus RT500RF is only single channel. If your second channel is being used, depending on what it's for you may need something that's more suitable.

Sorry for the confusion, I should've spotted that earlier.

Swop the tp5000 and see if the problem moves with it

Thanks chaps. We have 2 zones in the system but the upstairs one was even worse so got BG to wire both zones to the lesser problem stat downstairs.

So I do in theory have a spare TP5000 up there. I'll check that out next and report back before I venture into the Salus.

Some reviews seem to think the Danfoss is superior to the Salus but the Salus uses the lesser used signal band and has higher range. This would make it superior in my mind.

Thanks,

Joe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back