Dangerous PME electric box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there I have a very dangerous and old looking PME box in my hallway that looks like it needs changing. I contacted E-on who told me I will have to pay to get this changed - I'm sure this is not true as I'm sure it's their responsibility - does anyone know who I should contact????? Or what to do
Thanks

Sponsored Links
what makes you qualified to say what's dangerous?
just because something looks old doesn't make it automatically dangerous.
when they send out a meter reader they will look at their gear and report if it's dangerous..
and since they probably have no such report, then they'll not change it for free..

you could try the old.. "I heard something crackling in the black box under my stairs, can you send someone to take a look?" approach..

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies so far - I am not qualified to say whether my PME - Protective Multiple Earthing box - is dangerous or not, however, the electrician who came to wire my new cooker hob was horrified when he saw it and told me to contact my supplier immediately - especially as I'm having a baby in 4 weeks and would like to get it sorted before the baby starts putting his fingers in the box which is 18 inches above the ground. Any more comments replies would be welcome. Thanks

picture?

you haven't even described it yet.

Sounds like he's referring to the cut-out, as his electrician told him to call his supplier.

Picture please!!

Your electrician should have told you exactly why he thought it was dangerous. Being 18 inches off the ground shouldn't be a problem unless there is a hole or something loose or damaged. There should be no way a baby (or anyone else) can touch anything live. Was your electrician specific about anything?

To answer your question, if there is a fault with your incoming supply then your supply company will have to repair it for you. If you're worried about it, then give them a call and explain why you're concerned. Better still, get your electrician to explain what's wrong. If there's a problem, then you have to get it fixed!

but without being able to see what you are talking about, and with neither a description or a photo, we are just making aimless guesses.

crystal_ball_LG.jpg

Without a photo, no-one can comment.
DNO = District Network Operator which is who operates the network in your area as opposed to who actually supplies you with electricity.

1. If it is metal, it needs changing by DNO.
Typically hessian covered PILC (lead covered) cable, terminated with pitch, the terminations get old & begin to get a bit toasty eventually.

2. If it is metal & dual fused, it needs changing PDQ by DNO!
There was a replacement program to change them.

3. If the supply cable has cable clamps hanging off it (TN-S) as well as an earth terminal build into the side of the cutout (TN-C-S).
The DNO or DIY has bodged it which requires fixing by the DNO.

4. If there is any damage, broken fuseholder, evidence of the metel tail conductors visible or cotton covered rubber tails.
They need changing PDQ by the DNO!

5. DNO wooden board is damaged, loose. DNO must replace.
Your equipment can be fitted to the DNO board only if there is an easement in the house deeds, which is pretty unlikely unless the house predates the 1960s or some such when it was common for "everything on one single wooden board".

Should be a black plastic cutout, the designs vary.

If there is no earth wire, MEB, Main Equipotential Bonding, to gas & water pipes, that needs fixing. The electrician needs to fix that, not the DNO.

Baby + fingers + IP ingress to little fingers <12.5mm IP2x :)
If the cutout is in the hall wall without a cupboard around it, add one.
The cupboard must not fit to the DNO board, but should surround it sufficiently to stop baby poking around. A simple window-style splined-key lock will work perfectly to prevent access.

There is no legal requirement for service cutout/meter/cu to be boxed in, however to be honest it is well worth doing re "falling ironing boards, stepladders, knocked tins of wallpaper paste, water leaks, DIY experimentation with expanding foam tins (don't ask)".

Need photos in order to comment.
If in doubt, phone the DNO but they may charge if nothing is wrong. In which case you can bill the electrician who should have stated what was wrong and is a moron for not doing so. It may simply be a matter of an isolator being fitted, which on some DNO is chargeable (£20-80) and on others free of charge. I think the original post say E-On in which case it is usually free.

Need more info :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back