Danish oil vs wax on light oak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have some light oak furniture which is visibly drying in places. I'm confused whether i should use danish oil or wax to protect them. We got other light oak furniture from oak furniture land along with some light wax which they recommend to be used. We bought a light oak fire surround too, they said that had danish oil on it. The problem furniture came with neither so im not sure which to use.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
the shop we bought from just got back to me suggesting sunflower oil

Does not contain required additives, will leave it greasy unlike Danish oil which dries to form a seal.

Sponsored Links
Oil will be a lot tougher finish if you get enough coats on ;
with water or heat
Example A cup of tea on wax will mark it

Sunflower oil is perfectly fine, but it is a non drying oil and should be applied sparingly. I would use a drying oil such as DO. However, I don't think you should apply it if the furniture that has already been waxed.

To keep furniture which has been Danish oiled, apply DO again, or good furniture polish. The latter is easier IMO, especially indoors since you don't want DO on carpet.

I have a table from OFL, and I applied wax, it looks very nice.

Hi, the DO did nicely for this item. The OFL stuff all seems to come waxed. I had thought DO on wax would be a bad idea so avoided it, trouble is you don't always know what's on the stuff you buy already!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back