Dark voids and LEDs ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house has a flat roof extension which is lit by a line of 6 x 12v MR16 lamps. Their energy consumption is offensive (they're inherited) and I want to replace them with 4w LEDs. I have no idea how many replacement transformers I'll need - one hopefully - but with no access, I'm planning to use one of those imaging scopes / endoscope cameras to push through each hole to check

I suppose I'm looking for any tips of the trade. Perhaps it's the cheap imaging device I have, but I find it difficult to clearly interpret what I'm seeing. And I dont fancy the idea of tugging the two-pin connector to see if it drags a transformer through the hole in case something detaches ....

How do the pro's go about this? Thanks in advance ....

Sponsored Links
Drop the light fittings and see what you can see :eek:

If the xformers are per light you may well find there are just inside each fitting cavity.

You might want to consider dumping xformers all together and just fit 230v led lamps and fittings. There no better or worse, and there's the advantage that you don't have transformers to buy or maintain.

Have as good a look as you can to see if the roof has started to rot yet.

Have as good a look as you can to see if the roof has started to rot yet.
Which can happen if moisture / water vapour / damp air can get past the lights and into the void where it condenses and un-treated timber wnen damp is liable to rot.

Sponsored Links
If you fit something like the halers h2 fittings, it'll prevent the passage of moisture anyway.

In my case, there appears to be ample ventilation. But are spotlights really more susceptible to damp air flows? OK, clearly from the comments made they are; but my fittings appear fairly snug, the lamps themselves appear fairly flush therein .... is this not usually the case? If we're talking fractions-of-an-inch gaps, then are not other fittings equally susceptible if care is not taken to make them perfectly flush, say on a slightly uneven ceiling? I feel like I might have the wrong end of the stick ...

On the question first raised, am I to take it (per Chri5's first post) that the 'pull em and see' approach is the industry standard ?

But are spotlights really more susceptible to damp air flows?
As many depend on air flow to keep the fitting from over heating the answer is yes, many are more susceptible to damp air flows. And because the lamp heats the air the condensation often occurs away from the lamps making it look like the lamps are not to blame for the damp in the roof space.

On the question first raised, am I to take it (per Chri5's first post) that the 'pull em and see' approach is the industry standard ?
Yes it is very often the only approach possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back