Data

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for a bit of advise, was on a job today and asked how the following can be tidied up.
and whether the Data company are needed.
Theres a long data cable sellotaped to the wall and plugged into the outlet marked 1.
There are other unnumbered ports nearer below the data rack.

Am i correct to think each of these outlets will go back to one of the numbered outlets on the black box in the data rack.
I have one of them network testers so would it be just a case of finding the nearer outlet and corresponding port on the black box .
Assuming the port marked 1 currently goes to outlet 1 on the black box, i can check that, is it then just a case of moving the jumper lead out of outlet 1 and put in the relevant new outlet/port.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Yep. Ideally each computer/printer/etc is plugged in to a socket as close as possible.

that is why the patch panel(black box) is there

whether the Data company are needed.
Yup.

Not because you aren't capable, it's not a big undertaking, but because when you start unplugging cables things are going to stop working, and that will need managing and mitigating.

Sponsored Links
Where does the other end of this cable plug in to?
Im not sure it disapears into the rack, i quess it could go completely and just bypass the black box and outlet by linking direct between the two relevant sockets within the panel, but bit confused why this was not done in the first place.

The manager thought Data outlets were like phone sockets and he could just plug that black lead further down the trunking, so I just wanted to confirm, as i thought, that he cant.
At the other stores the black things are numbered and each outlet too, which i quess is the correct way, but this is a new store and apart from the permanent marker thats it.

For now he just wants the lead out the way a bit and when the till bloke comes he can do it properly.
I dont want to start messing inside in the rack in case something does go wrong.

Its only for the tills nothing important and the managers prepared to try it when not busy, if theres a problem i will just put the lead back as it is now and hopefully will all work again :)

Yup.

Not because you aren't capable, it's not a big undertaking, but because when you start unplugging cables things are going to stop working, and that will need managing and mitigating.
The manager seems prepared to chance it if its quiet, half the rack went off for half a day because the data people plugged some of it into a lead off the kitchen ring, which tripped when the kettle base blew up, the till people fitted the lead as there was not any spare sockets in the rack, also the dedicated supply to the racks been turned off before during the refurb, it works a couple of tills but all came back ok.
I will review the case when i return to do other works, I hear what your saying though. I will likely just find the nearer unmarked ports and let the site decide about pulling the plugs, I dont really like unplugging data things why the units are powered up, just in case.

Yep. Ideally each computer/printer/etc is plugged in to a socket as close as possible.

that is why the patch panel(black box) is there
Thats what i thought, so ideally the patch cable plug going into that black box, could have gone direct into the outlet within the rack wherever the end of the black lead is now, as theres no need for the big loop as its just going out through the black wire and back to the rack via the cat 5.
I best not remove the lead, but im miffed why its there really

Do you have a cat5 wiremapper, might come in handy for tracing

I have one of the two part things with i think its 8 lights on and you plug it into each outlet and it flashes in sequence, is that a wiremapper, ive used it a few times replacing cat 5 fronts, we are mainly electrical so only do small data bits to help the site out sometimes.

The manager seems prepared to chance it if its quiet
Well, fair enough. Some CYA in writing would be advisable....

The other thing about involving IT is that it could be quicker to just unplug the lot and start from scratch using the system documentation.

That's untidy ? I can tell you that compared to the majority of similar installations that's amazingly tidy :rolleyes: Though I see they've got the usual "lets provide some totally inadequate but ticks a box" power distribution panel in :whistle:
Bit in response to your queries ...
Yes, each socket on the wall should go to one of the numbered sockets in the patch panel. Each of those connections should be wired correctly and have been tested on installation - but some installers CBA with minor details like making sure they've not got any bad connections (there's 16 connections per wall socket - 8 at the socket end, 8 at the patch panel end) :evil: Similarly, some installers CBA labelling the sockets :mad:

In principle, you can move any connection to wherever there's a convenient wall socket and just move the corresponding patch lead at the cabinet. If you aren't 100% confident that everything's been done right, it would do no harm to do a quick test (your "box with 8 lights" tester will do) and see that at least all 8 lines are connected properly.
That's the point of "structured cabling" - you just have a load of identically wired sockets which you patch into whatever services are needed for any particular point. A couple of jobs ago I managed the internal systems which ran phone (analogue, digital (proprietary), ISDN), serial data (RS232), ethernet, and even the 10Mbps inter-system links used by the Transputers driving a serial I/O system. I had all the patch cables colour coded (blue for serial, green for phone, yellow for ethernet, and red for "don't touch this !") - after I left, someone thought it would be a bright idea to replace them all with black :(

Some of the jobs I've done in the past have been sorting out "problems" with poor installs - or "accidental" uninstalls.
In one case, someone had just cut all the cables and taken the patch panels out when moving out - it had been agreed between them, the landlord, and the next tenant that they'd leave the data cabling in place. I got the job of toning out about 60 sockets worth of unlabelled cables and re terminating them onto new panels. Apparently it had been a case of misunderstood instructions when someone was told to remove the cabinet :whistle:
In another case, I was asked to test the data cabling in a small office. In this case, a tenant had been renting several offices but had moved out into a bigger space. They'd split the cabling which originally all went to one cabinet - but got it "wrong" big time. Clearly whoever did it never even tried testing anything or they'd have realised what they'd done - they'd read the labelling wrong on the back of the patch panel, so each incoming cable had 2 pairs on one socket and 2 pairs on the adjacent one. So for example, socket one was split between 1 & 2 on the patch panel, with socket 2 similarly split between 1&2. It took me a while to figure out exactly what they'd done, and what went where - not helped by random miswiring so I couldn't just assume the cables were 1, 2, 3, 4, ...
Same site as the last one, it was a science park where we had 2 sockets in each unit and a fibre network linking a load of switches - so with a few taps on a keyboard it was possible to provide internet access with little delay or need for a site visit. A tenant had recently moved out and cleaned out their old cabling to return the unit to standard spec - only they'd chopped off our cables as well. Luckily I was asked to check when I was onsite for something else, and managed to identify our cables (two cables in a hacked off bunch that were a slightly different shade of grey) and stick a socket on them - dangling from the ceiling which was as far as the cables reached.
On new installs, it's not uncommon for sparkies to install the cabling while they're pulling all the other stuff in. That can be fun :whistle: Some see no point in labelling the cables - or at least not in a legible manner. Some don't see the point of proving enough length to actually reach the terminations. Some can't see the point of even trying to make it look like they've tried to install what was on the diagram provided. On other jobs the sparkies put the containment in (eg dado trunking) but don't consider minor details like allowing you to use a compartment that's big enough for the cables that need to go in - and don't get me started on the sparky who genuinely believed that the divider only insulates one way so not the mains can't go in the smaller compartment o_O

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back