De Dietrich Washing Machine Spinning Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am having a really odd issue with my washing machine (I have no real expertise with washing machines so any help would be great!!) - occasionally the damn thing won't spin!! The program is fine...until the final drain and spin. I'll go to take the clothes out and they are sopping wet. After lots and lots of taking the clothes out, putting it on spin, playing around with the drum, it FINALLY spins (I'm talking 30-40 tries!)

And then for a few months it will be fine. After reading lots of topics, I have no idea what it could be. If it was completely dead I'd have some ideas, but for it to work most of the time, and then randomly not spin - I am lost! It is about 4 years old now - I am guessing the brushes should be ok - if they were't, it wouldn't spin at all?

Any help or guidance would be great - I am happy to pull the thing out and take the top off if I can get some help.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
De Dietrich machines are not common visitors to the forum. But I would check for worn motor brushes & look for possible drain issues....pump blocked/faulty, waste hose blocked/kinked, spigot blocked, sock or similar stuck in the sump hose.

Thanks for the reply. I think you are right, they aren't the most common applicance due to the cost? They are all great appliances, but boy do they go wrong! I'm in a new build where everything is De Dietrich - so far in 4 years the cooker PCB has gone, dishwasher motor problems and now this!

I've taken it all apart now, and the only thing I can say for definite is that the belt by the motor is on properly and not worn at all. It's as if it has got "stuck" on a program! I've just put it on the whole program from the beginning again just to see if that could somehow nudge it out of it's problem!

How do I check for any of the blockages you mention?

Cheers!

We see so few of these machines so I am not too familiar with their constructional details. A good place to start would be to consult your user manual. It should explain how to perform an emergency drain procedure & check the pump filter/housing for stray objects/lint etc. The pump filter is usually located at the front/bottom of the machine. If you can see the pump impellor with the filter removed check if it rotates freely. It shouldn't have excessive up/down slack & when turned it should have magnetic resistance about every quarter turn before flicking over. Then locate the drain hose to check for blockages/kinks & check the sink trap spigot for restrictions. Best way to check the carbon brushes is to remove the motor (assuming the machine isn't fitted with a brushless motor). If everything checks out ok I would suspect a blockage in the sump hose (the large black hose at the bottom of the tub that leads to the pump). Good luck :D

Sponsored Links
Hi Zipper - thanks very much for all your replies! I took off the drain hose and there was some gunk in there, but nothing too much - that didn't do the trick.

However, I finally worked it out! Compared to the rest of my De Dietrich appliances, this one is really basic - there is a nob for the program settings and other push in/out buttons for other functions. The buttons are really dodgy and sometimes if depressed (enabled) you can't get them back in very easily. It turns out (I think anyway) that the button to enable a gentle spin to the eye was pressed in (as in disabled) but probably due to it being a bit dodgy was in fact depressed!! So after pressing it in a few times, turned it on and the fast spin worked!! 2 washes in and it's all working good

Thanks for all your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back