Dead quick question on flooring thickness

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to fit a replacement internal door frame - this evening.

I've only just thought of flooring thickness!! :rolleyes: Obviously I don't want the new doors to catch the flooring, or to have to cut loads off so I want to mount the frame at the right height so the top of the door sits well in the rebate and the bottom just clears the floor...

What thickness should I compensate for a wooden floor on a foam underlayment? 3/4"?

If we changed our mind and then fitted carpets would this gap under a door be too much? I have no idea of the typical thickness of a carpet plus decent underlay.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
When I fit door frame I always leave internal measurement 78" 3/4" or 2m

Don't worry too much unless you have to cut quite a bit, I have cut 35mm off the bottom of the door before depending on the door type and if it's noticeable.

Thanks a lot masona, it's for a "standard" 78" door so I'll at the 3/4" on and get started.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back