Dealing with damp garden wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I could do with some advice on how to deal with my side of a garden wall that I've twice attempted to improve, decorwise!

It's 7-8m long and approx 2m high with expansion gap half way along; 9" thick with a course of engineering soldiers along the top.

In the past, I have rendered it and this blew due to damp in the wall, so had to hack/pull that all off. Then I painted it with a decent exterior weathershield paint and that has also failed. Bricks are spalling along the top three to four courses and it looks bloody awful!

I've asked my neighbour who is a retired master builder and he built the wall years ago... He said he would like to have used stocks at the time but couldn't afford them! He's suggested a five coat render starting with slurry mix with sika1.

I want to deal with this once and for all as I have to stare at it every day whilst enjoying my morning cuppa before work!

Any suggestions would be great - Avoiding spending a fortune would be even better! I have some experience with rendering (and contacts with a lot more) so could go either way, depending on the skill level required, according to your suggestions!

Ta, muchly.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back