Dealing with recurring hairline cracks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of history on the problem wall...

Is a 1930s house with both lathe and plaster and plaster on brick walls.

In this case it's the latter causing me grief. The original plaster is about 12-15mm thick. The wall was in poor condition and was professionally skimmed. Cracks appeared before I even painted it and it was skimmed again. The wall was painted but cracks reappeared. It was left like that for quite some time and no new cracks appeared. I filled the hairline cracks just about 3 weeks ago and repainted. All looked great but the cracks have reappeared.

I suspect that filling and painting is pointless and the problem might only be fixed by the extreme process of taking off all the old plaster, boarding and skimming. I really don't want to go to those lengths, so I'd love to hear your other suggestions on fixing this annoying problem.

I'm sure you know what a hairline crack looks like but I've posted a photo anyway.
IMG-20220103-WA0000.jpg

Sponsored Links
Stand back and take a wider pic of the whole wall, floor to ceiling, and indicate where the crack is, and how long.

Especially if it is near a doorframe.

Is it an external (nine inch) wall?

is there any tiny movement when you press anywhere along the crack?

Stand back and take a wider pic of the whole wall, floor to ceiling, and indicate where the crack is, and how long.

Especially if it is near a doorframe.

Is it an external (nine inch) wall?

It's an internal brick wall. The crack is possibly floor to picture rail. About 7 foot long with a branch off it. There's no visible crack above the picture rail. I say possibly from the floor because it's behind a radiator if it is. It's central to the wall and not near the door frame. I'll try to show it on a wider photo.

Sponsored Links
has there been any building work, such as "knocking through" and removing a supporting wall below?

or building in the loft above?

The brick wall may be a timber frame wall with brick infills. Does it sound completely solid or more hollow in parts?

has there been any building work, such as "knocking through" and removing a supporting wall below?

or building in the loft above?

Yes, extensive work in the room behind and in the loft above, but this was carried out almost 8 years ago.

The brick wall may be a timber frame wall with brick infills. Does it sound completely solid or more hollow in parts?

I believe it's solid and it certainly sounds it. The only section that isn't solid is on the far right hand side where I believe a door used to be, but this was removed and plastered over before we moved in over 14 years ago.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back