Decent plumber or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a problem with the central heating. The radiators would come on whenever I selected hot water only on a Honeywell 699 programmer.

The corgi-registered plumber diagnosed a faulty three point valve which he replaced for quite a lot of money.

Unfortunately the problem is still there........and the only other solution is the programmer........and the 699 is notorious for going.

My question is..........should a decent plumber have been able to diagnose the problem..........because ive now paid for a valve i didnt need.

Sponsored Links
Hi as long as your plumber knows about heating he should have been able to diagnose your fault.

Not the only other thing it could be , depends is it a new problem or has it always done it

did he change the whole valve or just the top (actuator)

Sponsored Links
Could be the system is connected up wrong.

Has any extra radiators been added.

He fitted the whole valve and actuator.

It was quite an old valve and we had to part drain the system to fit the new one......the new one wont need a system drain on replacing.

Nothings changed on the system.......the problem came up a couple of months ago but we left it because we didnt mind having the radiators on when warming up the hot water tank since it was cold weather.

the system has worked perfectly for 15 years and was originally under a british gas care agreement. the only problems we have had is with the honeywell 699 programmers..........i think we have had three............they usually fail as a result of two many power cuts.

im surprised he did not try the programmer first........looking at about £50 and a snap-on fit whereas the valve is a 1-2 hour job and costs £140

plumbers do pipes etc

nothing to do with boilers and controls.
a registered gas engineer will be corgi registered, if he works on the electrics he has to have part P disspensation

plumber is a trade

not gas engineer :evil:

I asked the price of a Honeywell 699 recently and it was about £75 inc. vat !!!

Where can you buy one in Worcester for £50 ?

What happened to Jack's radio shop by the cathedral?

Tony

plumber is a generic term i used.

the chap's company is actually gas and central heating.

what i am trying to find out is it possible for a competent engineer to distinguish a fault between a valve and a programmer

I would agree that a competent heating engineer should have been able to identify which was at fault.

However I would also agree that as the valve more often fails many would change the valve as that would have been the cause in most cases.

If I had done that then I would not expect to be paid anything until I had solved the problem as I give a full guaranty on everything I do. I would charge our diagnostic fee and the new ST699 and pay for the valve out of our diagnostic fee. If the old valve was very old then I might ask the client if he would like to pay for the valve ( about £49 ) as it will be a distinct advantage to him having it replaced.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back