Deck over existing raised area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a raised walled area in our garden which I would like to deck over.

I'm OK with the decking part, but I'd be grateful if someone could say the best way to get a solid frame built on what is already there.

I would like the existing brick to be wood covered so I need a slight overhang from where the existing wall is.

Here's a photo of what it's like at the moment...
http://www.terryh.co.uk/files/deck1.jpg

Sponsored Links
you will need planning permission as its more than 300mm above natural ground level

unless the back edge is natural level off course then its 300mm from the highest point

you will need planning permission as its more than 300mm above natural ground level
Really? Even though the higher level is level with the front garden? It's actually a step down between 2 different natural ground levels.

Sponsored Links
your not permitted decking in the front garden without permission
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/[/QUOTE]
It's in the back garden, but the raised area is the natural ground level (level with front garden and roads etc. It then steps down into the back garden.

I won't need planning permission based on what you've said and what I've just looked up.

Just need the best way to create the supporting frame over what is already there.

4" posts into concrete.

And I think he's right, for what its worth - the drop will mean PP - a pain, I know. Or ignore the issue and keep fingers crossed etc...

Just my 2p

Would it work if I was to attach 4 inch posts to the front of the wall and let the wall take the weight of the deck?

I could then attach the joists to the posts on the wall (wall takes weight) and attach to posts at the back of the deck?

Thanks

If the wall is sound then attach the frame to it ising rawl bolts or a ledger board (plenty of posts on here covering either metod).

Or, if you have any doubts over the wall, sink supporting posts into the ground at strategic points.

If the wall is sound then attach the frame to it ising rawl bolts
I need to attach the posts to the face of the wall to bring the deck to where I need it, and allow the boards to be attached to the face.

I have looked at rawl bolts but they seem to work with thin materials.

Are there any fixings that will go through the 4 inch post and fix strongly into the brickwork?

Thanks in advance.

For a similar job we used expanding bolts (some retailers call them expansion bolts). The only difference is we didn't want to hide the retaining wall, it is actually higher than the decking level, we attached the decking to it.

I'm in the process of planning out the deck, and would like your thoughts on this frame...

All posts are 4x4, and the joists are 6x2 (it's not to scale, its just a rough mock up with dimensions marked).

Will it be good enough to support the deck?

deckplan.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back