Decking as shed base?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I plan to have a 10 x 13ft shed (e.g. http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...+and+DIY|14418702/Trail/searchtext>SHEDS.htm) in the garden.

I was thinking of using a raised deck as a base (possibly make it cheaper not using deck boards?). Never building a deck before thought this would be good practise for decking I wish to have nearer the house :). Can this be used for a shed base?

Reason for a raised deck, needs to be about 6" higher to be level with the surrounding ground / close additional shed base.

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
perfectly doable and will work. we often do similar when we build childrens play houses with veranndas

perfectly doable and will work. we often do similar when we build childrens play houses with veranndas

Thank you Thermo,

I'll show now how little I know as I was concerned that deck boards are ridged (e.g. http://www.wickes.co.uk/Deckboard/invt/209373) and as metal sheds don't have floors water would run under the shed walls therefore should I use normal treated wood?

sorry, didnt look at the link, thoiught you were talking about a timber shed with a floor to stand on the deck. Why do you want to use a metal shed, theyre a nightmare with condensation?

Sponsored Links
sorry, didnt look at the link, thoiught you were talking about a timber shed with a floor to stand on the deck. Why do you want to use a metal shed, theyre a nightmare with condensation?

2 reasons mainly, the cost of the shed it cheaper than equivalent sized wooden sheds and I already have one similar sized metal shed so it will kind of match :).

So should I still be ok bearing in mind its a metal shed not a timber shed?

Any help appreciated. Thank you.

Grooved or not you are still going to get water under the walls. Could you create a floor for it of marine play, and put this up on low bearers, such as pressure treated 2x2s?

Grooved or not you are still going to get water under the walls. Could you create a floor for it of marine play, and put this up on low bearers, such as pressure treated 2x2s?

Is that make up a frame using 2x2 as I would for decking floor and then use sheets of ply nailed to it as a floor? Could I use OSB or something else to bring the cost down a little?

Is that make up a frame using 2x2 as I would for decking floor and then use sheets of ply nailed to it as a floor? Could I use OSB or something else to bring the cost down a little?

yes and yes

Thank you Thermo,

I'll show now how little I know as I was concerned that deck boards are ridged (e.g. http://www.wickes.co.uk/Deckboard/invt/209373) and as metal sheds don't have floors water would run under the shed walls therefore should I use normal treated wood?

You have bought a low budget shed (I made the same mistake) A shed with no floor will probably leak (see my other post). Try and go to a local sheet metal worker and get a galvanised sheet cut to size and screw that to the bottom - other wise the shed will leak and rust - also they are not very secure with out a base, so look out for theft!
Mine was broken into and I ended up buying a more expensive replacement which has been so far (touch metal) indestructable. Try these guys in Yorkshire www.asgardsss.co.uk I got mine from them. Expensive though, compared to the likes of Argos.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back