Decking Joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

My husband and I are planning a deck over part of our sloping garden. Maximum dimensions will be 590 x 280. The 590 side will be against the house, held on a ledger plate, with joist slung out 280 from there. There will be two rows of posts concreted-in with accompanying beams over which the joists will be slung.

My problem is - if I can only get joists 240 long, can I join/splice them together safely??

Ta!!!

Sponsored Links
you need to search harder. I assume you have only tried your local diy store?

6x2 or 4x2 joists should come in 3.6m 4.2m and 4.8m from any builders or timber merchant.

You're right! Had a look around some of the non-standards and have got hold of what I need.

Looking at the load capacities on these joists I think I will probably only need one set of posts - 2x6 joist with a C16 rating at 40cm centres can span 3m, according to the tables I have looked at. So I might just put the ledger against the house and sling the joists out across a beam (notched into posts at 180cm centres) 2.4m from the house with a 40cm cantilever.

If I lay the deckboards at 45 degrees to the joists will I still need a cross-brace under the deck to prevent twisting of the structure? I would expect that properly secured deckboards would do the job.

Thanks for the advice!!

Wow !! this is the most knowledgeable question i think i've ever seen !!!

Sponsored Links
3m long joists will still bounce if you dont support the middles somewhere.

Noggins help prevent skewing.

Splendid! Will stick to two rows of posts and use noggins. Thanks for the advice!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back