Decking over a patio - Advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Hi guys, I need some advice on how to adress covering this patio with decking. As you can see from the images, the paving slabs are very un- even. The concrete base is cracked in places and it is both generally unuseable as it is and a bit of an eyesaw. Under the slabs appears to be hardcore. The area is aporx 3.3m x 3.3 m, and the height of the concrete base is roughly 17 cm.

I would like to give building a deck to go but am not sure about what method to approach it from?

Is it an issue that the patio base backs onto the fence?, could the current base be used to lay polypropylene and an easy deck bearing system on?
Do I have to demolish, remove and level the space and start again?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'd start from scratch - that crumbling pile of rubbish doesn't look stable enough to be used.

Was kind of thinking that myself, only thing is given the cost of skip hire materials etc, it can't be far off getting a landscaping/decking company to do it.....

Have been meaning to get this done since we moved in a year ago, just had a newborn though, so could do without massive projects.

Was kind of thinking that myself, only thing is given the cost of skip hire materials etc, it can't be far off getting a landscaping/decking company to do it.....
You will be making big saving on labour alone ;)

Sponsored Links
Just make the frame a little bigger than the concrete so the outer rim sits on posts into the ground.

It might be too big of a step up though, so consider building a step all along the three open sides to make access easier.

Just make the frame a little bigger than the concrete so the outer rim sits on posts into the ground.

It might be too big of a step up though, so consider building a step all along the three open sides to make access easier.

Not far oiff the way we went in the end. Me and a mate got it done in 3 days together.

Step 1 removed 49 flag stones, not fun.

Step 2, realised that it was not a concrete base, but can only be described as 20 year old ***** patio job. A crumbling pile of sand, broken bricks, tiles and any other general garbage they could find, held in a square shape by breze blocks on the outside.

Step 3. Excavated a trench around the edges and dug 30 cm deep squares to cement post brackets and set the posts.

Step 4 built the frame from Tanalised 3m long joist planks

Step 5 laid polyurephane sheeting over the crumbling pile of **** under the frame.

Step 6. The easy bit ....screwing the planks onto the frame, with 5mm spacing

Step 7 . Built the step, because of the slight slope oif the garden the eight of the deck was only too high on the side facing the house, so built a step.

Step 8. tried to clad the deck but ran out of deck boards, kind of finshed with tw 2.4m boards my neighbour had but will replace with full length ones soon.

Final step today, laid fresh topsoil and sowed new lawn seed on the surrounding area around the deck.

Pricing -
Frame and Joists - 10 planks at £13 each - £130
Deck Planks - 25 3.6 m £5.98 each half price at wickes -£149.50
Screws 2 x packs of treated deck screws 6.99 each £13.98
Post brackets and bolts - 4 x £9.99 = £40
1 x 10 cm square fence post - £11.99
2 x sacks of postcrete £15.98
Tools £175 - Couldn't resist a Makita driver/drill, made seriously short work of the hundreds of screws that needed driving + all other necessary tools

all in £536.41
Labour - zero , me and me best mate!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back